Sign in to follow this  
thamouse1981

another loss of coolant question

i have a 95m vr6 which appears to be losing a bit of coolant after about 1000 miles the tank would go from nearly full to nearly empty having looked through the receipts it has had two radiators in 5 years the last one being a year ago where it had all new pipework thermostat housing and thermostat when driving temp reads around 90-95 when stationary in traffic goes up to 98-100 having looked around the engine today all i could notice is that there was antifreeze on the rim of the expansion tank which appeared to be coming from the overflow any help/info/advice

Take the cap off and have a look inside, you will see an o ring around the centre plastic diameter within the cap. Mine had popped out of its groove and was causing the above problem. The cooling system needs to be pressurized to work at high temp's, if this o ring is damaged or not sitting correctly, the system has a leak and therefore boils and dumps all the coolant out off the expansion tank overflow.

The new cap only cost me £3.50 and all is fine now. Almost seems to simple to fix!!!

PS, my VR had been losing a little coolant for a while, so i'm guessing this o ring had not been seated correctly for the corrisponding amount of time. On inspection the old oring was very lose and baggy, the new o ring on the new cap in tight.

ok guys have a look on your auxiliary pump!!! or water pump!!! an as for the tem going a bit high get the fan temperature switch from the dealers cost about 20 inc vat!!!! i just done it my self and is runnig as normal again.

philip!!!

ok i think i have found it to be leaking from the pipe that goes to the top of the radiator where it is bolted in with two bolts there is resisdue around there and when i squeeze the pipe bubbles appear there what is the repair for this?? any info would be greatly received as i need to drive her tonight