Sign in to follow this  
pixie

mk2 vr6 starting problems need help

hi all merry xmass,

i am having a wee bit of trouble with my vr6 conversion i have got to the point now where i need to fire the engine up!

I have given power to the engine loom and when i turn the keys the engine turns over fine but there is no spark coming from the plugs! i have checked the coil and this seems to be getting power fine! what else could be naking the car not to spark?

mailto:[email protected]

cheers

Pixie

I'm pretty crap at this techie stuff and I am frequently reminded of this fact, but as no-one is around i'm willing to have a quick stab.. apologies if you already know about this stuff!

You don't happen to have a VR6 engine and ECU from a 1995 or newer car do you? Could it be related to the 'inbuilt' immboliser based off a transponder chip in the keys?

Have you got the firing order right?

Er... thats about as much as I can think of!

Yeah...

I´m not a good help on those VR6 engines too...

But you only need to check to items:

1st - Coil 12v supplied?

2nd - Does the coil receive the timing signal from the ECU to spark?

Well... It´s probably not that simple. :wink:

But i assume that an engine with fuel and spark plugs firing must run.

Are there any vital sensors to the ECU so that can immobilise it? :?:

Keep posting mate! :)

hi all thanks for the advise! the coil is getting a supply not sure about the timing signal!

the car is pre 95 no imobliser

when i turn the key the engine turns over and trys to start but there is no spark from any of the plugs!

cheers

Dave

Do you have VAGCOM plugged into the diags port? Can you scan for codes? Most likely candidates for "no spark" are:

- engine position sensor on block

- immobiliser (built-in or aftermarket)

- ecu relays (109)

- coil pack feeds

It's unlikely that the coil pack will lose all SIX outputs at once, so I'd say it's likely to be one of the former.

Check that relay first.

cheers lads

dr_matt you hit the nail on the head! cheacked 109 and found it not to be full in correct and also found a couple more rouge wires at the back of the fuse board and hey presto we have a spark!!

cheers

lads :)

bobby, i have had the car for about a year doing it up slowly i might add! its just my prodject i just put money into when i have it but make sure its good qualit parts im using like vibra monts etc!

but if you had the cash! and the parts and probably more cash and a few mates willing to help you out i would think it would take a few weeks! my mate who is doing the conversion thinks if i had all the parts there for him he would be able to do it in a weekend! lol but i think he would be pushing it a bit! but i call his bluff soon when i want to reshell the golf lol!

sweet! i wish i had a drive way!

trying to get it done inside a garage but you dont even have enough room to open the doors!

but she is getting there