Sign in to follow this  
khurrado

HELP! ABS LIGHT STAYS ON

ABS light comes on whilst driving, on aoccasions, it will dissapear after a "click" felt in the brake pedal..what is happening here please???

Is this gna cost me another load of cash?????? all help appreciated! I remember a note on this topic in the corrado manual, but all it says is contact a vw garage immediately lol.

As everyone always says when this question comes up:

- most likely it's a wheel sensor. Not too much cash.

- ..but it COULD be the ABS control unit or it's ECU. lots of cash, but plenty avail 2nd hand..

- but there's NO WAY TO KNOW without plugging it into VAG-COM.

but there's NO WAY TO KNOW without plugging it into VAG-COM.

Well, you can test the resistance across each wheel sensor by unplugging them from the top of the suspension turrets (for the rear ones you'll need to take the bench out)

If one reads alot different to the rest then chances are thats the one that needs changing...

I have no idea what u guys ate talking about lol

I had a crash, and as a result the car is on 2 17s on the front and a 17 and space saver at the back.could this effect it??? Also the wheela rch linings are always knocking and rubbing could this cause some interefernce????

The car has ahad wishbone driveshaft and shock changed on the front.........the car still makes knocking sounds whichi can hear/feel from close to the brake pedal/////

This is all trhe nfo onthe car, no with regard to vag com what is this?? And also what/where are the wheel sensors???

Thank sguys

VAG-COM is the engine diags reader. VW have an equivalent tool. It interrogates the engine computer to find out what errors have been recorded. If you have a VR6 the ECU remembers the errors, but the other cars you'll need to get the errors scanned *when it happens* - i.e. don't turn the ignition off or the error codes are lost.

The most likely scenario is that some of the work/damage to the front end has caused damage to a wheel sensor, or it's cabling. No idea why, other than that.

The space saver you have fitted at the rear will spin at a different rate than the rest of the wheels causing the ABS computer to throw a wobbly which might cause the light to come on

The standard space saver should have the same rolling radius as the other wheels, but then, since you're running 17s maybe that's part of the problem. I don't know how clever the ABS ECU is in these circumstances.

right, well funny thing is that the abs light will go off at times, when theres a click in the brake pedal???? Ill have to take it to my mechanic..does anyone have a vag com in SW LONDON???????????

The space saver you have fitted at the rear will spin at a different rate than the rest of the wheels causing the ABS computer to throw a wobbly which might cause the light to come on

Agreed! :)

Sort the wheel out before spending any money

wheels coming tomorrow...Ive already spent 400 buc on repairs and parts. All i thought i needed was a front bumper, but the list keeps building up. Oh well.

I guess i need to hook it up to vag com then