Sign in to follow this  
Andy Brookes

What have I done!!!!

Hi All,

Not posted for a while as not much being going on.....but the VR overheated this morning on the way to work. Thermostat had been playing up xmas, sticking open, but it stuck shut this morning.

So have taken a duvet day and look what I have done. While doing the thermostat I thought I would fit my new samco's, fit the oil cooler that has been sitting in the garage since the summer and sort the rusting rad support out. So its now stripped of its front end. Got to order a few parts including a new rad as its bulging in a few places!!! Very strange. Anyone else had this before??

That's got to be the neatest fluid catch I've ever seen...not a drop on the blue mat!!

Not seen a bulging rad before but my Mum's corolla had no cooling fins in hers at all after 10 years.... they'd all rusted and fallen out!

Hope it all goes well and you've done the same as me....coolant system overhaul and oil cooler done together, so you won't know which was most responsible for the temperature drop!

Yeah, very neat Andy. Despite large drip tray mine was still sick on the floor. But isn't it annoying having to take the front off to get the rad out? Was gonna pull mine and clean it up but then couldn't be arsed.

looks neater than it really was, but that matt is great as its easy to wipe it all up!

Going to be a expensive job this as I have decided to renew all the temp sensors as the fans has been coming on for no reason when I switch off the ignition. The switch for the overun fans is so crusty that I cant read the part number, so having difficultly identifing it (see other post). All the switches are the originals so may as well replace them. Thank goodness for Corrado Club discount at my local VW dealer. Have decided to go for an original VW rad rather than a GSF one, I think the current one is a pattern rad and that has bulged, spoke to GPC (very helpful) and he advised that the pattern rad are not as good as the VW ones.

Think this job is going to run into the weekend. But hopefully it will sort out the cooling system which has always worried me.

PS, only took an hour to strip the front off including the rad. Makes it very easy to do all the other jobs that need doing while I have it apart.

Cheers Andy

Andy, you may find the part number stamped on the RAD support panel indicates that it is the same as a MKII Golf. This is Not the case. The Corrado panel is a Mk II with another bit welded onto it, hence the potential part number confusion.

If you already know this please disregard this post. Also I had mine blasted and powder coated for £30. :-P

It was the rad switch that I was talking about that was crusty.....

but so is the rad support, that along with the fan metalwork and the front subframe thingy is hitting my local powder coaters tomorrow! How thin is the paint that VW put on these things.

Nice work, like to see people doing a job properly and renewing associated bits rather than a patch up. I'll be doing this job myself soon, nothing wrong with the car, i just want a super clean rad :oops:

Sweet enginebay too. Puts most C's i've seen in "show n shines" to shame. Any one can wash and vac a car but a clean enginebay takes hard graft!!

My previous rad 'bulged'

It was too fat to be removed the non-dismantling way, so they took the front end off to do the same as you.

I have aircon rads in the way, etc too though, so its a little tighter ;)

So yes, has happened before!

Just a weird way for them to die I think.

That photo is very kind Lee! It will be a lot cleaner come the weekend though.

Very strange this bulging thing, had a closer look inside the rad tonight and think the coolant system has seen a mix of G11 & G12 at some point as there is a layer of sticky scum inside the rad. Also noticed it inside the old hoses, so glad I'm replacing the whole system now. Not one piece of the original cooling system will be left as I have already replaced the aux pump, expansion tank and the heater matrix was replaced a couple of years ago along with the oil cooler.

I’ve also had a bulging radiator on my VR which actually split on me, this was just one month after my aux water pump decided to throw its hand in. I’ve now installed Samco’s, Mocal oil cooler, a new water pump, heater matrix and thermostat.

Not one piece of the original cooling system will be left

Oh, a new block & head too then :lol:

not quite that far! everthing bar though..... minus the water pump...bet that goes within the next couple of months! But got to stop somewhere otherwise I may as well replace the engine too!