Nick_Micouris

Bleeding VR6 brakes

H.,

What are your back bearings like? Put it in gear, handbrake off. Then put your foot on the top of each rear tyre and rock it into/out of the wheel arch. It you feel or hear clunking as the wheel & disc rock about, the bearings are too slack. I had one rear wheel slack like this just a couple of months ago. Only a slight movement. Adjusted the bearing to take out the movement so it didn't clunk, while leaving it still free to rotate. Pedal firmed up quite a bit.

Could be you are chasing this, hence why the bleeding isn't going any further.

If it is, whats happening is the taper bearing slackness is allowing the disc to move sideways and push the two brake pads away from the disc surface. So the pedal has to travel further to take up the gap before it becomes firm. One side is enough to soften the pedal travel.

C.

Interesting point - rear bearing adjustment is just to nip it up slightly and relace the split pin? Would this not then just loosen again after a few miles? Will give it a shot, though, thanks.

Interesting point - rear bearing adjustment is just to nip it up slightly and relace the split pin? Would this not then just loosen again after a few miles?

No it wouldn't slacken. Its down to how you set them. Rocking test will confirm that. BTW, it also affects the straight line steering if slack, Corrado (as other cars) will tend to wander at speed as it moves side to side on the rear bearing tapers if one or both are slack.

The outer washer tends to fairly tight to push with the screw driver when you've tightened it. Still slides but it does not flop about. The balance is the wheel still freely rotates with very little hand effort.

Your adjustment needs to be just

just read all this twice as my brake pedal has gone spongy after fitting the brembos, have used an eazibleed and just cant get any pressure through the brake pedal at all :-( have done all four callipers/master cylinder and nothing.

threw my toys well and truly out of the cot today, so gonna have a pint later and attempt it again tomorrow.

just read all this twice as my brake pedal has gone spongy after fitting the brembos, have used an eazibleed and just cant get any pressure through the brake pedal at all :-( have done all four callipers/master cylinder and nothing.

threw my toys well and truly out of the cot today, so gonna have a pint later and attempt it again tomorrow.

lol...spoken like a true corrado owner...

One distinction with TEVES 04 brakes on the RHD C that is made in the VW workshop manual is the brakes are vacuum bled (as is a C brake system RHD or LHD where no ABS is fitted). Pressure bleeding is for LHD C TEVES 02 ABS brakes, different system. They wouldn't put that in the manual unless there was a reason (not stated).

Oh, it will work. But my concern would be damage to the ABS/EDL valve block seals. If they can be damaged by just pushing back caliper pistons with bleed nipples closed, whats to stop the pressure from the eazibleed doing the same if the spare tyre pressure feed is high enough.

yeh very true, thats why on the easybleed they state not to use more than 20psi, i have been cautious and kept it at 15psi

Hi mate

Have you also bled the ABS pump ? I got quite a bit of air out of mine .

well bloody soaked and soooooooo p'd off, have bled the whole sytem again and i mean the whole system, still got a spongy pedal but the brakes are stuck solid and you cant move the wheels at all.

seriously not happy.

The garage are struggling to bleed mine (after fitting 312s/mk4 rears and stainless flexi hoses) - and they've had it three days now! Any tips I can give them to speed it up? (this is an auto VR6) Apparently they've got some pedal feel back but they're not happy giving it back until it's as it used to be...I'm guessing they totally drained the system without realising it would give them hassle later. Quite glad I got them to commit to a price first!

They've done both rear wheel bearings - so could be set wrong as per previous posts here?

Stone