Sign in to follow this  
quikstu

Heater fan died today.........

Heater fan just stopped out the blue earlier today, had to drive about with the sunroof open to stop the windows steamin up!

Anyone else had this problem?

What was it? The fan, switch, motor or something else?

Noticed in another thread that its £65 for a new motor!!!!

:evil:

Is it dead on all speeds??

If it works on 4 then its a problem with te resistor pack, If not at all then it look for a fuse then check the switch etc before spending and wonga...

If it is the Heater motor, Just get one from a broken mk2 golf and switch the resistor packs other as the golf one is only three speed as opposed to the corrado's 4 speed heater.

Mine just stopped too out of the blue at the weekend, just checked the fuse (handbook says 30amp in slot 6). Dead on all speeds. If I have the ignition on I can here a faint hum until I pull that fuse out then all goes quiet.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks in advance.

I'd get it out and mave a look, just drop the passenger shelf - the wiring is long enough to run the fan while its out so you should be able to see what the problem is... did it get very noisy?? - I wonder if the fan itself has come off the spindle...

Was a quiet hum, constant, no matter if fan is on 0 or 4.. but I think its in the engine bay, like a pump or something? I will try and drop the shelf..is it easy?

I have removed the fan and the resistor pack but it all looks ok to my un-trained eye that it (nothing burned out or hangin off)

Can I test the multiplug for current to see if the problem is towards the switch?

Or should I remove the switch and take a look...if so how do I do that?

Was a quiet hum, constant, no matter if fan is on 0 or 4.. but I think its in the engine bay, like a pump or something? I will try and drop the shelf..is it easy?

That's your auxiliary coolant pump. 8)

T.

I have tested the switch and its fine, and then tested the multiplug, and it seemed to be outputting the different currents. Then I tested the power lead from the resistor pack to the fan which was stepping the power up as I cycled through 0-4 on the switch.

At which point the fan spun up in my hand and nearly took my finger off... if I manually spin the fan it will spin for a while, but rough,like the bushes have gone...

So I am looking out for a new fan, anyone have one?

Someone was knocking them out at Inters yesterday for £35 brand new, they are about £50 off the shelf from GSF now...

In my invinite wisdom I decided I may aswell leave it off until I get another one thinking that the air flow in the footwell would be already mixed with warm air from the matrix. How wrong was I.... I am still shivering from my sprint to the office this morning. going to put the old one back on now. :cry:

sounds like you need new brushes on the motor (hotpoint washing machine motor brushes seem to do the trick)

Sounds like hard work to me, would you need to fit a hotpoint switch with letters on it... Nipping to the shops is spin cycle K?

Nipping to the shops is spin cycle K?

I think you'll find that a trip to the shops would only require "quick wash D"