Sign in to follow this  
Shilakadaddy

Cold Air Flow Through CC Hole?

Yesterday I was busy routing a cold air flow pipe from the driver side brake duct up through the Carbon Canister hole into the air box... I started taking pictures while doing it so that I could create a mod guide to put in the Knowledge Base or on my website when I finally get around to revamping it.

However once I got to the stage of getting this nice cold air into the air box (namely cutting a hole in the bottom) everything didn't work out how I'd imagined it :roll: ... the difference being that the CC hole isn't directly under the center of the air box as I thought, and therefore a nice sealed perfectly round hole cut in the bottom wasn't going to happen. Instead I just had to cut the corner of teh airbox away to feed the cold air into the box...

I was just curious if anyone else had come up with a better way of getting the cold air into the air box (not just using a cone induction kit)?

Cheers, Chris

I cut the corner of the box off too and then ran a flexible tumble dryer vent tube from the corner, through the hole and down to the bumper... worked really well too! 8)

Don't know of a better way (and a cone IS NOT a better way! ;) ) but may have a play with my new car soon as I take off the CC and sling it in the bin... ;) 8)

did you block the original hole at the front of the air box? I couldn't decide whether there'd be any point or not, so didn't bother. However on mine this hole is probably less effective than usual as the plastic shield that went from the radiator to the light that directed the air into this hole has been removed to make way for my Oil Cooler... I doubt it would make any difference blocking this, however it does ensure that all the air directed into the air box was coming from my nice ducting, and therefore nice and cold :)

didn't block the hole at the front of the airbox, I used that to get part of the pipe in... ;) :lol:

(and a cone IS NOT a better way! ;) )

Agreed, Cones are for putting ice cream in and directing traffic....

And Madonna....

Surely if you locate the cone out of the engine bay, i.e. through the carbon can hole, that's the best way to get the most cold air to the engine- a la Turn 2, Carbonio etc? A cone will have more surface area than a panel filter and won't the longer intake tube create a bit more torque? Correct me if I'm wrong.

(and a cone IS NOT a better way! ;) )

Agreed, Cones are for putting ice cream in and directing traffic....

Great sound though . :lol: :lol:

AndyVR6, spot on mate... problem is not many people do that, so the cone is in the enginebay sucking in nice hot air from around the engine which defeats the object entirely... :roll:

I might consider something a bit fancy like that with twin inlets... If I ever get a FMIC I'll look into it then (when I get a FMIC I'll know where everything can go at the front of the car, namely the Inter Cooler, Oil Cooler, radiator and charger inlets)... would be rather cool 8)

Just bought a Turn 2 style CAI from Intake_Power on US Ebay. Cost me £55 inc postage, and it's got a genuine K & N filter. I'll let y'all know what it's like when it arrives in a couple of weeks.