Sign in to follow this  
geordiedubber

Radiator removal ????

How difficult is it to remove the radiator on the vr ??

what other parts need to be removed ?

I need a new rad quick... And it looks such a tight fit.

Any advice ?

Cheers.

Dont take the entire front end off!!!!!!! No need.

Its not difficult, just a bit fiddely. One thing I did was undo the front engine mount and jack up the engine, gives a little more room in there and makes getting the rad out a bit easier. It is a tight fit though but it can be done.

It took me just over an hour to do it. I think battery out first, undo the coolant pipes, take out the lights (lets you see alot better), remove the plastic grill, then undo the radiator/fan bolts. Then slide out the fan unit. (its worse to get out than the radiator!!) then out comes the rad. Easy as that.

Think there is a proper right up somewhere on the forum, have a search and you might find it.

Its worth gettting a new temp sensor for the radiator too and mine was fecked!! almost fell apart trying to unscrew it from the rad.

Dont forget some G12+ coolant!!

T.

As timo says it can be done without removing the front end.......but I replaced my rad, put samco's in new thermostat, oil cooler etc etc. I removed the front end and it wasnt difficult at all, and it made everything so accessable. The time spent fiddling could be the same time taken to remove the front end. But obviously its your choice.

I also took the opertunaty to have the subframe and rad support blasted and powder coated.