Sign in to follow this  
ANDY16V

Scorpion exhaust .... driving me mad!

when i bought my corrado it already had the scorpion exhaust and worked fine, but since i have had the manifold changed its been a nightmare its basically knocking the bodywork, its been back to my mechanic twice and he cant seem to sort the problem in the mean time i'm being driven mad by the constant racket! :mad: ive looked at the supports and all that seems to be holding it in place is one rubber hanger shouldn't it have a strap running around the whole of the backbox?

and can anyone please recommend a mechanic in the southwest region- truro/bodmin area? a mechanic that knows about corrados?

many thanks guys :)

Dont know about 16v but my VR has two rubber supports on the back box, one at the front and one at the back. Its probably banging on the rear axle. Thats what mine did after I lowered it and due to one of the hangers being goosed.

T.

Cant remember off hand but if its similar to some of the golfs, if it has the little metal strip that goes over the tunnel where the exhaust sits then if the centre box hasnt been pushed onto the front pipe properly the edge of the box catches and makes an awful noise, also if your engine mounts are goosed then it will give a knock on takeoff. readjusting the zorst though should be a diy job if you can get under the car

Replacing the rubbers is never a bad idea to, as they do s t r e t c h with age, after that you can see if it still needs adjusting or not.

mine use to do this, it just needed slight adjustment of the back hangers.

i've used a big tie wrap before to provide additional support to rubber hangers - works a treat

Mine rattles like a b1tch on the bodywork......drives me mad! :mad: I know what the problem is on mine -

1) it catches on the rear axle as the pipework goes over it

2) the centre box catches on the rear axle as it is positioned too far back.

You might find that your maybe catching in the same manner. It was ok when it was originally fitted (badly) by Demon Tweeks, but then moved a bit, and hey presto, one really annoying rattle.

It might be worth checking the positions of the centre box and the back box, an that the centre is far enough forward, and the back box pipework, with the bend apex directly over the axle.

Cheers for the reply everything you've said makes sense.... checked the underside of the car and the bend in the pipe isn't directly over the axle but there seems to be 2 inches of clearance? but after the bend near the start of the back box there is only one hanger i'm thinkin there should be two?? but i did notice after the manifold change the end of the exhaucst did protrude much further out at the back of the car ... which i guess sits much more badly over the exhaust. by the way could anyone give me part numbers etc for the steel fixing which fit to the underside of the car and hang the rubbers off of?

all your help appreciated :)

What year is your Corrado? If its like mine ( 1991-2) then the back box should have 2 hooks at the front of the box and 1 at the back near the bumper. Mine was knocking on the beam so i tied it up to get it off the beam, but now the tailpipe rattles against bumper :(

dont bother with cheap GSF hangers, I bought some and within 2 months they were stretched and perished.

This has happened on almost every VW I have owned and I have found that (assuming the exhaust is fitted properly and not sitting too far back from the engine) it can be sorted by bending the back box hangers up slightly and then fitting chain insert rubbers (From C&R) to the back box hangers and new oe rubber hangers to the centre section

You will often get a lot of clattering on start up from a stainless zorst but stainless heats up very quickly causing the joints to tighten up and the clattering to go away

Its a .. J reg, 1992,2.0L 16v..

basically i was wrong before, just had it over my mates inspection pit and although the exhaust has 2 fixing points at the front of the box my car only has one point to hang it off, and one at the rear of the box. Anyway thats not the problem, its my mechanic he obviously decided that the rear axle would make a good exhaust support :shock: anyway it will be back in soon it needs an mot :roll: .. by the way where do you buy the reinforced rubber hangers from?

cheers guys