Sign in to follow this  
ryan

Even 8 valvers have problems

I was driving into work this morning. In traffic, you know how it is on a Monday. Went to change gear, out of first into second lifted my foot of the clutch and the pedal came up maybe 2/3rds of the way then stuck for a second before it sprung up the rest of the way making a flicking noise - The sort of noise you used to make when you first learn to drive. It now seems to stick almost every time I change gear. :(

I have not had a chance to have a look as I was running late again and its going to be dark by the net time I see her perched in the car park. Has anyone got any ideas what this might be? :roll:

My thoughts are a sticking clutch cable or possibly a lack of hydraulic pressure……any ideas ?

Cheers guys

Ryan

Hydraulic clutch on Corrado, assuming thats what you have. The master cylinder may cause this problem.

Gavin

Yep it’s a Corrado, a totally standard silver 8 valver with 52k on the clock.

Believe it or not, I took some of the dash trim out last weekend to sort out my sticking throttle pedal, so this is the most likely culprit I guess. Although I am sure it went back together properly I think I better check it !

I might go and have a look in a minute…..if I can just sneak off with out the boss noticing!

How could I tell if it’s the master cylinder by just lifting the bonnet???

The problem seems to have been cured by randomly spraying WD40 up under where the clutch pedal disappears into the dash mouldings coupled with repeatedly pumping the pedal till I was blue in the face and could swear or cry no more. When I woke up the problem was fixed. :gag:

Not really all that technical but it worked…...

If I don't get the driver's side under-dash tray in exactly right in my Corrado I get the same exact symptoms as above. The clutch pedal arm catches the trim.