Sign in to follow this  
BristolVR6

Water in oil

I'm currently looking for a VR6 'rado, and have seen some great cars, but on a couple, I've noticed that there's been either water or white emulsion under the oil filler cap. Most of the vendors have claimed that they think this is because the car has been left standing for a while and this forms condensation - which then mixes with the oil when used again.

Does anyone else agree with this theory - I don't want to miss out on buying an otherwise good car if this is a genuine cause.

It's not a theory, it's fact. More common cause is lots of short journeys, and the car being kept outside over the winter. It actually boils out of the oil when you get the car up to full temperature, cos the oil goes over 100 deg C in normal operation, so it should go away after a long blat. (Don't forget the filler cap is shielded from most of the oil flow, so it'll take much much longer than you might expect to get rid of all the foam under there.)

If in doubt, see if there's any oily film on the water in the expansion bottle..

i had it on my dipstick which normally means bad news,but it cleared completly after the car got up to temp twice! i was startin to think headgasket or oil cooler

Very common at this time of year with the cold weather, I wouldn't worry about it as long as there are no other symptoms of hg problems.