Sign in to follow this  
willwoll100

Drop links rubbing on inside of wheel???

As the title suggests, I thought it was the top mounts which I replaced but there's still a finger sized gap under the top mount plate and the drop links are still far to low? What sort of distance should the links be from the wheel, I'm running my VR6 on 17's

Thanks again.

Ain't got a pic of the drop links but I can tell you now that they are virtually resting on the rim :shock: :cry:

I just can't understand what has caused this and I'm now 230 miles away from my car until saturday when I go back home

Sounds like you may need new drop links & bushes.

Here's a picture of mine, although the VR links will be a slightly different design -

I wish they were, but the problem occured with the old ones which had been on the car for years. One of the old ones sheared off and punctured the CV boot due to hitting the rim which in turn made me notice the top mount plate being to high so I changed the top mounts and the drop links and here I am with the same problem, I'll post some drop link picks tonight.

I haven't looked at my VR, but I can't help but notice that SteveMac's drop links are the opposite way up to yours....

Perhaps they're misnamed??

Still think your drop links are upside down m8 . :wink:

Looks like your bottom suspension arms or anti roll bar have been replaced with the roll bar underneath the arms & not above, as it should be.

Positionally - yours should be the same as mine.

Still think your drop links are upside down m8 . :wink:

Looks like your bottom suspension arms or anti roll bar have been replaced with the roll bar underneath the arms & not above, as it should be.

Positionally - yours should be the same as mine.

If your right I'm going to tw@ myself, can someone with a VR6 look at there anti roll bar and either make me tw@ myself or make me even more confused please.

I've looked at a fair few VR's m8 & beleive me, your links are upside down.

I can't stop laughing at myself for being such an idiot, I just looked at a pic of a golf VR6 and the drop links on that are the other way, then I seen your post :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

This forum is such a wealth of knowledge even if sometimes the people who post for help can't see the wood for the trees.

Thanks again, I'll be crying when my car is sold :cry:

Damn it, just been outside to take a photo and now u dont need it :p:p my post it anyway lol. although it will probably embarass me more than you the state of the inside of the wheels is terrible!! the last owner (the only owner) obviously wasnt bothered bout clean alloy

Thanks a lot anyway Graham E, what a helpful community :D :D :D

This is the story of how it happened anyway, the NS link snapped due to what I thought was it hitting the wheel. So when I got it on the ramp and tried to remove it it was jammed solid and trying to use an open ended spanner just wouldn't work. Then I went to the OS link and removed that no problem and ended up fitting the new link the wrong way as I didn't have anything to compare it to. I then had to melt the broken ones plastic end with a gas torch and used a socket to remove, fitted new upside down and here I am tonight rather embarrassed

I'm happy again now though :D

Graham_E, only reason my suspension's fairly clean is because I renewed it all last summer. :wink:

I just need to wash all the old oil off the back of my engine now. :oops:

stevemac i just have this thing about every part of my car being clean even the bits that you cant see everyday...think i may need to go and see somebody about this obsession. Thank god i havent got the money to get everything chromed! :lol: