Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Oil pressure low, alarm keeps going off

I replaced the senders in my corrado about 4 months ago because I thought that was the original problem. I have also replaced the oil cooler with a radiator style from eurosport, the connections are tight. I did just tighten my oil filter pretty darn tight the other day and ever since I have been experiencing the unpleasant beep beep beep beep of the alarm. does anyone know if that would cause my oil pressure to escape? I need help with this one guys, cant figure it out.

have you fitted the right colour senders in the right place? theres white,blue and brown and they alll switch at different pressures

well I have 2 one on the side of the head, one on the oil cooler bracket. If there is another that I dont know about tell me, I will replace. I have a G60, I replaced the headgasket about 3000 miles ago.

Does it do it all the time, or only when cornering? The only way that oil pressure will "escape" is if there is a massive external leak, which will manifest itself as a sticky pool under the car, or if the clearances in the bearings are so enormous that the engine is finished. You will hear some dreadful rattles to accompany that scenario.

The other alternative is that your oil pump is worn to the extent that it is useless. I suppose there must be a pressure relief valve somewhere as well, but I don't know where. If that is blowing off at too low a pressure, you will get a warning buzz.

You have, of course, checked the oil level on the dipstick........sorry, it had to be asked.

There is absolutely no need to do your oil filter up more than hand tight if the seal is in good condition; all you are doing is to make it more difficult to remove next time.

Best wishes

RB

Had a Golf GTI Mk2 that kept clogging up the pump inlet strainer causing low pressure. Sump off and a clean. Regular oil changes stopped it.

i have also seen lowered cars with the lump in the sump for the oil pickup for the pump flattened by grounding out - this may be worth a quick look underneath

it is on constantly, I have oil in the system, it only started after I tightened the oil filter uber amounts, car runs fine. I am going to loosen the oil filter today and probably put on a new one, will post results, G60's only have 2 sensors right?

yup, one on the filter head and one on the side of the cylinder head where the oil feed to the charger comes off...

I wonder if you crushed something inside the filter by overtightening it which has clogged up the oilways through the filter? :?

I replaced the filter last night and turned the car over, no alarm. this morning I took the car over the hill to college and once I got out of my driveway I get this DAMN RINGING, beep beep. well I turn up the stereo and hope for the best. my friend is with me so I decide to just gun it up the hill for the hell of it. got it to about 70 and then let off the gas where my turn was. the beeping from hell stopped. been mashing it all day now and now the beeping is gone. probably clogged filter. I dunno. my car did overheat a little up the hill. got home put some coolant in it (first time in 6 months). car's water temp hasnt moved from 169 even after flooring it for a while. so all is good and well, thanks guys.

i had that same problem with myG it was bc of the oil filter when i use a fram it beeps at like 2200 rpm in 3rd gearfound out if i use the VW oem it doesn't do it anymore give it a shot....

you should really use the proper VW G60 oil filter because it's got a non-return valve in it... ;)