Sign in to follow this  
Neil VR6

Removing rocker cover

Is this a pig of a job? Has anobody got any tips? Will I need to take off bits of the fuel rail and other assorted pipes that I'm not keen on unbolting!?

Cheers

it's not a pig of a job, but you do need to undo the pipes and 2 support brackets which connect from the rocker cover to the inlet manifold.

It's do-able in about 25mins with no major hassles... Just have a load of jubilee clips handy to replace the original hose clamps which you'll have to take off... 8)

Why do you want to take it off?

Cheers Henny. I'm painting (finally) my rocker cover. 113,00 miles of heating up and cooling down have made it flakier than a leper colony! I've also got a small oil leak from the gasket which I'm replacing at the same time. Do you use copperslip when reassembling the new gasket?

Nope, don't copperslip it... I just put a thin smear of grease on the gasket to ensure it seals properly.... 8)

I just remembered, you may find that actually getting it off from behind the cam pully is a bit tricky... Stick with it, it will come off the studs and come out, but you may end up swearing at it first! ;) :lol:

Nothing is ever as simple as it should be. That's what I've learned so far! I'm good as cussin' though so I should be fine!

Remove the ISV and CC pipes out of the way, use engine oil on the new gasket, braket bolts should be 25Nm, Cam cover bolts need to be 10Nm

I don't have a torque wrench unfortunately. I would imagine that the rocker cover bolts don't need to be done up too tight as they don't bear much stress.

Right, I've done it. It all went very well. However, there'a a small hole in the front side of the rocker cover on the left as you look into the engine bay. I didn't notice it before really but it oozes oil? Is this correct? I thought pressure in the rocker was relieved through the oil breather. I don't remember there being a bolt to blank it off or a cap over it before. Does anybody know what it's for?

The hole was only present on the early type rocker covers & is only there for over-filled oil to drain away. If it leaks constantly, your oil cap is leaking. Have another look at it & you'll see what I mean.

I thought it might be for over filled oil to drain away but seems a littel crude for ze Germans! What do you mean by this:

"If it leaks constantly, your oil cap is leaking."

Is it that the oil cap should be airtight so for the small hole to leak would mean air is getting into the rocker to allow more oil out to allow it to drain more effectively through the hole?

Cheers for you help in this

"If it leaks constantly, your oil cap is leaking."

My US-G60 did the same, till I fitted a new oil cap, problem gone.

Tempest

if it continuously flows oil out, especially when you havent put oil in recently, replace the Cap. are you driving around and the little red light from satans village blaring its constant banshee scream at you?

It might be that the paint has stopped it from being completely air tight. I'll put a smear of grease around the lip of the hole and see if that does it. I very much enjoy the mental image of a red light from Satan's village and banshee noises but the oil level is fine so no banshees yet! :lol: