Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

LOVE THIS OVERHEATING THING

ok so my corrado is kinda pissing me off now. I just posted yesterday saying that it was all fine. I went up a hill this morning to college and my car got really hot really quick, of course it was because I was gassing it. however it doesnt do this normally. After I went up the hill I drove flat for about 500 feet and the water cooled back down to 160.

I have replaced the expansion tank, the lid, the radiator, the thermostat, the oil cooler, temp senders, the headgasket, the heater core, the head flanges. the only thing I havent replaced in the colling system is the water pump and the fan, I know the fan works cause its on. the water pump, How do I test it and how do I get the the thing off.

I have a G60, the engine pulley looks like it needs to come off to get the water pump off. I have a bentley but its not helpful. thanks guys but its been 8 months since my car functioned correctly, I need this car to work. I am replacing O2 sensor this weekend, car is backfiring could this be why heat is a problem?

Are all the pipes definately getting hot ? For it to get hot that quickly it sounds like there is either a blockage in one of the water ways or an airlock!!! with the engine coolish take the cap off the expansion tank and see if the return hose from the top radiator hose has a decent amount of water flow returning to the expansion tank. Water pumps generally work or dont work so it's unlikely to be that imo. If it is the water pump you can just change the inpeller side of the pump if the housing is ok but the 10 or so m6 bolts that join it to the main housing usually shear off ( even on fairly new pumps) so in the long run it's just easier to change the whole unit and as they're only £22 from the dealers it's hardly worth fussing about just changing the impeller side.

ok I got some more drive time in today while you guys were all sleeping. I took car through a variety of things, ok well what I did was get rid of the airlock, yes one formed. I take it out after fully removing the airlock and about 10 mins into driving it at various speeds, the cars heat starts going up again. I have a 174F degree thermostat the car was pulling about 200F degrees in heat. so I got kinda worried, thought it was creating another airlock. well I get another 3 mins in and it goes up to 230F. Really worried now. Take it off the freeway after cruising at 70. Cars temperature goes down to 170. dunno how it happened, thought the cars airlock was relieved. drive it further and the temp goes back up to 210F. on the way to a big hill temp goes down to 160. kinda freaking me out now. I keep the car in mid 3rd gear all the way up the hill. maximum temperature reached is 180. went down the hill got temp to 160. floored it out of the bottom of the hill got it up to 80mph and 174F. started driving around town and then the temp went back up to about 190. temp then drops to 165F and I keep it down till I test it again. FLOOR it to about 95. temp goes up to 174. slow down a bit (35) and the temp goes up to about 195. till I get home when it drops down to about 185. the reason why its not the radiator is because its new, like a week old and this just started today. so what I am thinking is my thermostat is fried, or is "sticking". would this make any sense to everyone else?

I had this problem in my G60 but it was not an airlock it was a blockage in the small pipe which comes out of the top of the header tank for the radiator I just took it off and blew it out,prior to this I did the same,changed temp senders,thermostat water pump radiator and all this expense for a simple piece of limescale