Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

Bonrath/JOM lowering spring caps question

Anyone had any experience with either of these?

I've heard the JOM ones (from Venom) aren't great quality?

Not sure how much they lower either as the JOM/Venom parts are the same code for mk2 golf and early corrado, but the corrado already has lower caps than mk2 golfs as standard (about 10mm).

All I need is a few mm lower on the front due to my Eibach springs on my 1990 16v.

thanks,

David.

I used the JOM ones and they were fine. Only lower 10mm though, not 15mm as stated. Is that true about the corrado as Ive just fitted some springs and its a tad too low at the front.

Got some caps from a Mk2 Golf so fitting them would raise the front?

I'm also using the JOM ones without problem. Quality wise they're fine I've found. Same thickness plate as the VAG ones but the only difference is the spring stop for the top coil is a bolted-on block as opposed to a bit of metal bent down.

Mine dropped the car visibly but the gap between the arches barely changed.

Is it definetly true about the springs caps between the Corrado and Golf being different?

yep, sort of, 1990 corrado has passat caps 357 412 341, the only mark 2 golf that shares this is the PG engined golf G60, so it's a good mod for golf owners to lower a bit with some second hand Passat or Corrado caps.

Only thing to remember is the Corrado changed front suspension slightly in 1992 so what I'm saying only applies to 1.8 16v's and G60's with the earlier style top mounts/bearings.

Now I'm wondering if the later style caps can be used on the earlier Corrado's, as there are 2 part numbers for the 1992 on cars 1H0 412 341(later mark 3 golf type) and 357 412 341A(for the very last Corrados)

I've just checked on ETKA and 1H0 412 341 is listed as for vehicles with heavy duty suspension but 191 412 341 is also listed(higher mk2 type) as is 357 412 341A(for later chassis numbers), very confusing.

Looks like some mk3's had the golf 2 type suspension others had the later corrado style, but the early corrados and G60 golfs had golf2 type but with lower sitting spring caps, so I don't think the higher sitting spring caps will fit a later corrado.

:?

David.