Sign in to follow this  
CrazyMan

Cant fathom this noise out..

Im getting a intermittent squeeking noise form my fan belt, its not the sort of squeek you normally get with a knackered/loose belt, its more like one little squeek per revolution and increases with the revs, sometimes it is very very loud.

The belt has been changed 2000 miles ago and ive had it looked at by a mech and he says the belt is in very good condition.

I took it to LEX auto centre just to see what they thought, a quick spray with WD40( i thought this would make it slip more??) and it went, but it returns after an hour or so.

What the fook could be causing this, it is driving me insane and no mechanic seems to know why, suggested changing the belt again but i dont wanna fork out cash when this one is so new....

Crazy Man, guess you don't really mean the fan belt (since that is just a drive link to the second cooling blade) but one of the engine driven ones? Sounds daft, but has it got something stuck on its driven surface and you can hear it as it passes over a pulley - bit like when a stone is stuck in the tyre tread?

I wouldn't use WD40 on rubber belts mate as it contains petroleum which eats unprotected [from petrol] rubber. Use silicon maintanence spray instead.

I wonder if it's your belt tensioner? Get a long bolt (13mm head) and wind it into the tensioner hole until the pressure is totally relieved from the belt. Now spin the tensioner pulley by hand and listen for any noise and feel any odd vibrations. It should be smooth with a slight bit of lateral play. If it's really stiff or jammed completely, you know the drill. :cry:

You can't rebuild them with a new bearing, replacement is the only cure.

Not saying it is definitely that though, check also you've got nothing rubbing on the belt.

Kev

94 VR6

Yeah, Kev's right, mind you i doubt LEX used WD40, it may have just looked like it?? - you can get 'Belt Dressing' from most motor spares places which is silicon based (like the stuff he means)

ive tried to get the belt dressing from halfords/motorbitz but they dont even know what it is, all i get is a confused look and a swift reply 'never heard of that mate, we dont do that'

The belt i mean is the multi ribbed V belt ( i think thats it)

Is it expensive to replace the tensioner? ( stoopid question, it is a corrado after all) :(

ive tried to get the belt dressing from halfords/motorbitz but they dont even know what it is, all i get is a confused look and a swift reply 'never heard of that mate, we dont do that'

The belt i mean is the multi ribbed V belt ( i think thats it)

Is it expensive to replace the tensioner? ( stoopid question, it is a corrado after all) :(

The silicon maintanence spray is by the greases, in a plain yellow can. I'm not sure about belt dressing spray though.

The tensioner is quite expensive, circa £100 I think as it's one big alloy lump you've got to change out. Check it spins freely first before going down that road!

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6