Sign in to follow this  
TajMan

G60: What boost with the different pulley sizes?

I've tried searching and couldn't find what I was looking for. I just need a few things cleared up.

What's the stock G60 pulley size? What should stock boost be with a healthy charger?

How many different pulley sizes are available for the g-ladder? What's the smallest one people use? What boost #'s can you expect from each one?

With a pulley you also need a matching chip upgrade and FPR right? What are some good combos?

The car I just bought has already been modded a bit. Right now it has a neuspeed intake, aftermarket supercharger outlet tube thing, smaller pulley (the owner couldn't remember what size), some kind of chip, a 2.5 bar FPR installed and a 3 bar FPR that he included and said needs to be installed. The seals in the charger are supposed to be new, and he says it was boosting like 10-12psi right now. Does that sound right? What size pulley would be boosting that much. He acted like it was the smallest pulley you can go, but I looked on bahnbrenner.com and I think it said the 58mm pulley boosted like 20psi or something, that really surprised me.

68mm pulley sounds right... I hit about 10PSI of boost by around 2,800RPM and go on to push about 12-13PSI later round the rev range and i'm running a 68mm pulley..

I believe the stock one is 78mm.

I used to get 1 BAR at the redline in my Golf with a 68mm. If you're at altitood:lol: in Utah a 65 might compensate for the thin air??

I think the 58mm at BBM is prolly for the Lysholm not a G60. I don't think any one sensible would do one that small for the road.

Gavin

Isn't the fuel pressure 3 bar as standard?
Yes.

What should stock boost be with a healthy charger?
11.6psi @ sea level.

Ive got a 65mm pulley, with Jabba chip and std fpr I get just over 1 bar, around 15 - 15.5psi

BBM has a 58mm pulley listed for the G60: http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/ca ... &catid=262

Maybe the FPR he has to install is a 3.5 bar. Yeah its high altitude up here in Utah. Looks like I'm going to want to switch to a 65mm pulley. The chip in there is supposed to be really good, made for pretty high boost I think.

What kind of wheel hp should I expect with:

65mm pulley

3.5 bar fpr

chip

intake

supercharger outlet

exhaust

?

What kind of HP gains does a cam make? How does it shift the powerband? What spec cam is best? What level of boost starts requiring better intercooling? I was thinking about an air to water intercooler.

BBM has a 58mm pulley listed for the G60: http://www.bahnbrenner.com/media/php/ca ... &catid=262

Maybe the FPR he has to install is a 3.5 bar. Yeah its high altitude up here in Utah. Looks like I'm going to want to switch to a 65mm pulley. The chip in there is supposed to be really good, made for pretty high boost I think.

What kind of wheel hp should I expect with:

65mm pulley

3.5 bar fpr

chip

intake

supercharger outlet

exhaust

?

What kind of HP gains does a cam make? How does it shift the powerband? What spec cam is best? What level of boost starts requiring better intercooling? I was thinking about an air to water intercooler.

SNS write chips for use with 3.5BAR FPRs, usually in combination with red injectors.

You cannot just fit a 3.5 FPR without the right chip, it'll overfuel....

With a 65mm pulley it's not about WHP, that's for down the pub after a couple of beers :lol:

What you get is a motor that can pull trees out of the groung from virtually tickover. GazzaG60 has one on is Corrado and he says it breaks traction all the time, not just 1st and 2nd.

The Corrado intercooler is possibly the worst you could get for the application. IMO it is far too small. I have the same on my Passat and it works great at highway speeds but if you get sat in traffic it soons gets hot.

If you haven't got Air then the best thing to do is fit a front mount ahead of the radiator. Failing that an air water would be a close 2nd.

I would also recommend fitting a proper oil cooler, the oil system on G60s in general is marginal before upping the boost. Afterwards it can get overwhelmed big time.

I have no experience of aftermarket cams but in general going too long in duration will cause you problems with emissions and need another chip to fix that. I personally would spend money on an intercooler and oil cooler first. Get your car running right will be better than throwing money at it with miss-matched parts that gain you little performance as they work against each other.

Obviously, just my opinion..... :wink: Starting to sound like a grown up there I think. :(

Gavin

Even with a 68mm pulley, the wrong kind of conditions, and a charger thats due a rebuild, I can break traction in 3rd.. so I can't imagine what a fettled charger running a 65mm pulley must be like!

oh yes, traction is a problem......

infact, i was going to start thread asking about the best to stop this soon, as its a bit of a pain....;)

swfblade, an LSD or 4x4 is the answer... ;)

TajMan, at a guess you'd be looking slightly over 200bhp (@flywheel) with that spec, but your torque will be WAY more and start way lower down the rev range as the rest of the people above mention...

Personally, after you've installed an uprated oil cooler (a must for all G60s in my opinion) I'd get yourself the biggest intercooler you can squeeze in there to make maximum use of the boost you do have before starting to mess with anything else... 8)

Ok, does the computer do anything to lower the power when the intake air temp starts getting hot? As in, are there any kind of knock sensors? As far as I knew an intercooler is going to lower the intake charge and allow for more boost without knock, but if the car isn't pre-detonating at its current boost how will upgrading the intercooler improve the power? (except for maybe slightly because its a little cooler air)

Sorry, I just know more about turbo Mitsubishi's and not as much about supercharged VW's.

The previous owner said it would break traction in second. I just drove it once so far and it felt pretty good, just not quite as fast as I thought it should. I had an Eclipse GSX (~200hp turbo 4) and that just felt like it had a little more power, especially since this G60 is supposed to have a lot more torque but similar HP.

I'm gonna find out exactly what kind of chip is in it and about the FPR. If the chip is made for the 3.5 bar FPR would it still run right on the 3.0 bar and just get more powerful with the 3.5 bar? He seemed to think that chip was made for the FPU but it just wasn't installed yet. Also how can I acurately measure the pulley size? The diameter on the outside of the lip? From where the belt actually sits?