Sign in to follow this  
KADVR6

spark plugs

please dont give me some really bad news guys, just changed my spark plugs and plugs 1 2 3, were ok minimal deposits on the electrodes, but 2 4 6 were covered in oil when i took them out ( on the thread ) and the electrodes were dark black? why :?: :(

Oil in the threads is nothing to worry about, prob a leaking rocker cover gasket or the rubber shroud under the filler cap is leaking.

Black electrodes = too rich. They should be grey/brown. Hook it up to a scanner and see if it comes up with any errors.

thank god 4 that, but cant understand why only 3 plugs were oiled and black?? is it just a case of going to a garage with diagnostic equipment to lean the fuelling :?:

Hmmm...well, the coil pack is basically two 3 output coils in one block, so chances are the front bank of 3 (2, 4 & 6) is not getting a strong enough spark perhaps? Just a hunch..... or maybe the front knock sensor is dead and it's retarding the front bank?

Is the rear bank of 3 definitely lighter in colour on the plugs than the front bank? If so, then I'd look at the coilpack I think, unless anyone else has got any ideas?

I think a VAG-COM scan is in order mate....

ooooo !! My word !! I get another star. I'll have to put my hourly rate up.

Nowhere near the beknighted Kev., of course. 10029 posts in under 2 years, that's an average of about 14 a day.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. Feel free to delete if deemed too off-message.

Best wishes

RB

I didn't have a girlfriend for 14 months of those 2 years (I wonder why) which partially explains the post count :wink:

You'll notice my weekend post count will be very low from now on :D

cheers kev, and yeh 2 4 & 6 are very black while 1 3 & 5 were slightly grey/brown, but no smoke at all even at very high revs. just went out for a blast to check ( any excuse ) gotta find someone with vag-com around birmingham to find out whats going wrong, :(

I could be wrong here (I don't know the VR6 engine too well) but couldn't this be caused by a dead knock sensor causing the ECU to make that bank of cylinders run rich? I know that the VR6 has 2 knock sensors, and this is exactly the kinda thing I'd make an ECU do if I were to design it... ;)