Sign in to follow this  
Tattie

Bouncy Suspension advice

Hi Folks,

I replaced my dodgy original suspension a while back (approx 10,000 miles if that) with a Boge lowering kit (shocks and springs). Replaced all top mounts and bumpstops but I didn't cut them down.

Now I'm doing the daily drive the rides far too crashy/bouncy over bumps. Especially on the B roads I use to work (Lincolnshire area around Woodhall Spa, Metheringham etc), it's like being on a space hopper!

I can't afford the whole koni and H & R kit at the mo but considered just the springs alone, either H & R or G-Max ones (Been in a VR with them and Boge shocks, a far better quality ride than mine).

The springs are a definate purchase, where's the best/cheapest place to get them from?

Is it worth getting replacement bumpstops front and rear or cutting down the original ones?

If replacement items which ones and where from?

cheers

You need to cut the rear bumpstops down by the lowering amount, eg 40mm. They're not actually bumpstops at the rear anyway, they are ridden on permanently, so it's important to get the length right otherwise it affects the ride quality.

The H&R springs are too strong for the Boge dampers, they really need to be matched to yellow Konis or H&Rs own dampers for the best results.

They might be OK with Boges for a while but they'll be working overtime to keep the H&R spring oscillations in check.

do you need to cut the front bumpstops down as well?

do you also have to shape them or can you just cut them flat?

The originals have a bit of a cone shape at the top to fit into the strut top mountings