Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

Vr6- low down miss when wet??

Anyone

everytime we get a bit of rain (all the time) my vr6 seems to have a slight missfire down low. After a wee run everything is fine once its up to temperature and dried out i assume. I'm not pushing it on before 80 degrees and am curious if anyone has any suggestions.

When warm runs great and revs right out smoothly and was recently roaded at 192bhp with no mods.

Am i paranoid or what?

Any suggestions welcome.

cheers

Paul

Could be a crack on the coil pack, what year is your car? N reg if I remember right?

Wait till its darkish and get one of them mist spray bottles full of water. Run your engine then spray it in the area of the coil pack area and look for arcing.

its on an M.

Will try that at the weekend.

Is it difficult/ expensive to get hold of and fit.

cheers

Paul

If thats what the problem is then, depending how bad the cracks are, it can be fixed with epoxy resin. A new one is about £180 I think although im sure there was one in parts for sale for £50.

Not sure on fitting although I think its straightforward enough.

If thats what the problem is then, depending how bad the cracks are, it can be fixed with epoxy resin. A new one is about £180 I think although im sure there was one in parts for sale for £50.

Not sure on fitting although I think its straightforward enough.

Yeah that's mine for sale.

Takes 10 mins to fit.

Kev

94 VR6

Has anyone thought of water getting in the air filter. I used to have a 1.9 205 pug that used to stammer and misfire if you even showed it some water.

Also if a cone filter is fitted then water can come in between the bonnet and wing catching in the lower half of the standard airbox. If its really rainign then this could get into the engine.

Also check the leads/plugs make sure they are all in good nick etc. One coked plug might not start sparking till the temperature is up.

Just a thought :wink:

Here it is. Sorry for the slight blurriness, my hands aren't as steady as they used to be !

Care to elaborate on your edit comment please Andi?

Kev - quote from Andi from a 'circular' he made to the mods. It's more something for us to bear in mind/watch out for rather than the onous being on the members.

Guys, when posting links to other threads, etc. please post the new-style of URL:

http://corrado.atx-hosting.co.uk

not

http://www.atx-hosting.co.uk/corrado/forum/

If you use the site as the top URL, it will remain like that - not reverting to the bottom one. It's just cleaner, that's all.

i doubt it is water getting in through the k+n since the water would have to get in between the bonnet and wing and then drop down to the filter then go up again to gat in the engine because of the way the filter slopes down. i think

will try the scooshing water at it in the dark and see what happens.

cheers

Paul

vr6paul2003 did you sort the problem as my 93 vr6 has started to do the same thing ,for the last 3 days left it overnight in the rain ,go to start it and it misses until warmed up then fine after that

Ive just had the same problem. I tried the resin repair. No more problems. It took a few hours. I used quick drying araldite from halfords and it worked a treat. Take the right hand small part of the engine cover off. Pull off the multiplug conector. The coil pack comes off with the removal of 4 allen bolts. These are tight so take care not to strip any of the bolts as I did! Once off give the whole plastic area a coat. Let it dry then give it another coat. Dont forget to do a diagram of where the leads go

Dave.ccgb1702

just had alook and i have a dizzy ,so changed the cap and rotar arm ,so i will try it in the morning to see if thats worked(fingers crossed)

have not fixed it yet as the weather has been quite good so forgot all about it to be honest.

Will have a go tomorrow as i need to sort it.

cheers for the info dave

Paul

right tried the vr today after a night of rain and still the same ,plugs,leads,dizzy cap and rotar arm ,all changed and still the same :mad: ,any more advice :D