Sign in to follow this  
james_88

Possible Head Gasket?

Hi, just in the last few days the water light has been flashing and there's loads of water boiling off out of the expansion tank once the engine heats up. I keep topping the water up but it boils away at a very fast rate, maybe 2 - 3 litres per day. I took it to the garage and they were pretty certain it's the head gasket. However there's no mayo oil or oil in the water, i'm just wondering if it could be anything else?

Probably related is there's no hot air coming out the heaters since this started happening, it's all stone cold air being blown out!

Cheers in advance!

I wouldn't assume its the HG just yet, the matrix sounds like its gone and the bypass valves have done there job and stopped water flowing in, you may also have some other ramdom problem like the fan thermoswitch is only working at one stage causing it to overheat where as before the heat into the cabin was keeping the temps down...

What model corrado is it??

It's a 1991 G60. Also i forgot to mention there's lots of bubbles in the expansion tank too, like there's a backpressure somewhere in the system and lots of air is getting out.

Probably a big air lock in the matrix.

Sounds like a headgasket to me. Make sure you have a proper G60 metal gasket fitted. My mates Passat TD did the same, as soon as it warmed up it spat the coolant onto the road. If you ran it with the cap off and revved it it looked like Iceland..( The country, not the shop!)

Don't keep driving it as you might knacker the head.

Gavin

No they didn't check for exhaust gases however they did a compression test but that seemed to be pretty normal! I know the guy who owns the garage so i don't think they would mess me about. The engine's done 130k anyway so i don't think a rebuild would do any harm!

Cheers for all the advice!

Try the expansion cap first if it doesn't seal properly the system wont pressurized and it will just boil out of the overflow. Other than that it probably is HG