Sign in to follow this  
Arrow3 VR6

G60 Condition and Supercharger Questions

Hey everyone. I was possibly considering purchasing a C G60, as they seem to be much more in my price range, but I've noticed a lot of people talking about their superchargers needing to be rebuilt; and I had a few questions mainly on that topic.

This is an ad for the car below that I was considering:

1991 Corrado G60

Mileage: 94,500 Miles Price: 4,500.00 US Dollars

- Have All Service Records

Suspension: Bilstein Sports, Neuspeed Springs

Engine: SNS Sttage 5, 68mm Neuspeed pulley, wide cog belt,

Wheels/Tires: Stock G60 aluminum wheels

Exterior: Dark Emerald Green, some door dings but paint in e

Stereo: Factory

Interior: Gray Pleather interior, great shape, MKIV shift kn

Other: Sunroof tilts

Comments: This is one highly modded Corrado and clean Corrado for its age. It has a Stage 5-2 SNS chip, 68mm Neuspeed pulley, Neuspeed Cold Air Intake, Taylor 8mm racing wires, Bosch plugs, BahnBrenner wide cog belt, Bilstein Sport shocks, Neuspeed Springs, 5 speed (auto to 5 speed conversion professionally done), 90K mile service recently done including: new timing belt, BahBrenner cog belt, all other accessorie belts, new fuel filter, new cap, new rotor, new 8mm Taylor Racing Wires, New Bosch Sprak Plugs, etc. This car is has ALL major service professionally done, and is FAST, FAST, FAST.

I asked him about the supercharger's condition and he said this:

"The supercharger is pulls strong and is not rebuilt."

I was wondering if any of the parts he has had replaced affect the supercharger and it's condition?

Also, he bought the car from a man who owned it, and the automatic transmission went out, and the man didn't want to fix it, so this guy "bought it and converted it to a 5 speed." I don't know much about conversions like that, and I'm wondering if there is risk in such a thing as that?

Thanks very much for all the help in advance.

Cheers!

not being a g-60 expert or even owner myself.........i do know however that if the 'charger has never been rebuilt before and has had a bit of tuning like a smaller pulley and and chip then its surely on borrowed time

i would factor in the cost of a rebuild into it......don't know how expensive that is stateside but its under £500 sterling this side of the pond

as for the auto to manual conversion.....providing all the parts are genuine and have been fitted properly then i can't see it being a problem......luckily for us brits the g-60 was never offered with the auto option over here(i think it was available in the rest of europe tho)

to check the charger

remove the first boost hose off the charger and check for signs of oil, if there is oil present the seals are going, if there is oil in small spoonfulls then its on its way out for sure. at 90k and never done, it must be going.

Check for a VW oil filter should be black and have VW plastered all over it. NON oem filters dont filter the oil aswell apparently.

I was down the breakers the other week and there was a blown charger on a C there and the filter was a tiny thing that looked like a motor bike one.

When getting the charger rebuilt make sure you change the oil Feed line for a new one and get the bigger return pipe cleaned.

Oh yeah..and how hard it is to remove the first boost hose..? He claims "he doesn't have time" to do it.

who is doing this work for you ?? i would of called dave at KK if i were that side of the pond.. this above service that you are getting doesn't sound right to me... tell them you want it sorted.

G lader should be rebuilt every 45,000 miles as a maximum, clearly one could do this soooner if the unit was being put under greater strain.

With regard to the removal of boost hoses, any competant individual could do this work with little effort in even less time. We offer this sort of inspection FOC as it is so elementary.

G60Jet... Is the first boost hose the one lower down on the right hand side where the silencer box is, underneath the boost return? Is it easy enough to unbolt off and have a look see....

G60Jet... Is the first boost hose the one lower down on the right hand side where the silencer box is, underneath the boost return? Is it easy enough to unbolt off and have a look see....

easy just a hose clamp, should be a screw driver job.

hmm maybe 1 minute, possible a minute 30 if he's slow with a screwdriver. :lol:

after that many miles, if i were you, upon getting the car i would take the charger off and ship it straight to kompressor kanada.

"This is one highly modded Corrado" "68mm Pulley" "SNS 5-2"

all that stuff says this car has been put through the paces... and the charger is supposed to be rebuilt every 45,000 miles, this guy has never done it and it now over double the service interval!! if you get this car rebuild the charger right away, who knows when it could go??

..it looks like all this guy did to service it was get a BBM wide cog belt :roll:

ask him how much boost its putting out. with a 68mm pulley and stock head it should be at least 15-16psi @ 6000rpm if its healthy, and even then, a bearing could go at any time after 94,500 'highly modded' miles.

ask him how much boost its putting out. with a 68mm pulley and stock head it should be at least 15-16psi @ 6000rpm if its healthy, and even then, a bearing could go at any time after 94,500 'highly modded' miles.

Alright, thanks for the advice. I'm sort of shying away from this now due to the long distance that the deal would have to be made over as well as these other issues.

Cheers!