Sign in to follow this  
Jim

How much would my Corrado be worth these days?

It pains me to admit it but I am fast realising that I just cannot afford to keep or run my Corrado. I really really like (love!) the car dearly but I am just way out of my league with it.. insurance is silly for what is not exactly a huge performer, the cost of parts and consumables is just driving me up the wall, and thanks to recent parking mistakes by moron drivers, I am just so sad of seeing it still needing repairs and not being able to do anything about them. There are jobs outstanding, and the fussy side of myself is telling me that they desperately need doing!

I can't be sure that I am going to sell it, but I just want to get an idea of what its worth.. here are the details.

Plus side :

* Religiously looked after by myself in the year I have owned it - I have reciepts for around £1,500 including new tyres, battery, new windscreen (fix water leak), a big service, tappits, belts (including timing belt), 2 oil changes, and various little parts.

* Washed and well looked after generally, both inside and out - I hand wash the car pretty much every weekend to keep it in good shape. The bodywork is generally sound condition - there appears to be no rust anywhere.

* Seems to be generally a good runner - I have had the ignition system inspected on diagnostic kit a few weeks ago, and I have had the car rolling road tested a few months back (144BHP using Shell Optimax) - it all seems to be ship shape.

* Loads of old MOT's and reciepts.

Down side :

* Not exactly got a FSH - if you were to patch it all together, you could roughly say it has a comprehensive service history, but it doesnt have the appropriate stamps in the book - I'd say its missing out on about 2 stamps.

* A small but not awful scratch on the front left bumper - about the size of a packet of cigarettes. I have been quoted about 90 quid to get it put right.

* Pretty bad stone chipping on front of wings and bumper - but it hasnt rusted or anything. Not really noticable from a few feet away, but pretty horrible if you look at it in bright sunlight up close.

* Your usual quota of parking dents and random scratches which are the norm?

* Some of the electrics and bits dont quite work inside - electric mirrors work sometimes, and the heater controls are a bit fussy - only lets me put the heat on the windscreen or footwells - any further round the dial, it just jams and wont go.

The car is a 1994 2.0 16v, it has 86,500 miles on the clock, its in Blackberry Metallic - it has just passed its MOT and I am just about to tax it for another 6 months.

What do you guys think its worth?

I had really hoped it wouldnt come to this but there we go.

Cheers.

Worth about £3000 to £3500 IMO, but others may say it would be worth a bit less still - there are plenty of good examples of VRs around for about £3500. I've been watching the price of 16Vs take a dive recently - they are harder to sell because the engine isn't so creamy, and some think it is underpowered in a C (they may have a point!). Your car looks in fantastic condition, and is also standard which helps though.

Cheers

Mark

2.0 16V

M8, that it horrible to hear :(

But, don't forget we are driving cars that are upto 10 years old, which are performance cars and more than just a shopping trolley.

Any car - no matter how "apparently" reliable they are will never be perfect. MX5s are supposed to be rock-solid reliable - but I spent a fair couple of Ks on that in the two years of ownership to keep it on the road.

It's up to you and what you want when you're driving. I don't see cars as just an object with wheels to get me from A to B - and I doubt I would ever drive "a shed" as I would hate it. I need a car I enjoy, I enjoy being looked at in, and enjoying spuring conversations up about.

FSH isn't the great deal it once was. Anyone with any brain can figure out how well a car has been looked after. Yes, if there is none, you might wonder whats happened - but if the majority is there, you should be able to see the car was/is regularly cared for, etc.

Leccy mirrors. You taken the control bit out and cleaned all the connectors? They get very gunky.

Heater controls - mine is similar - won't go down to feet, only face and screen. It's just a Corrado thing. Live with it or find a spare day to take your dash apart. I'm currently voting for the former :D

Stone chips. Yeah, well, it happens. How much you worry about it is up to you. Whether the next buyer will is another thing. Personally I don't, since it's rather impossible to drive in the UK for any distance and NOT get stone chips. As long as the paint that's still left on is ok - I'd be happy :)

Parking bumps. See http://www.youcantdrive.co.uk :D

Don't do it, Don't Do It, DON'T DO IT!!

You WILL regret it.

Plus I will constantly remind you what a plonker you are if you flog it. Sell your Mum or something. Your sister - can't you pimp her to pay for the car? Something, ANYTHING!

Believe me, I really really dont want to sell it. I am definately like you Andi - I had a crappy old Pug 205 before my C and I really didnt give a rats ass about it - but the Corrado was something I had wanted since I got my license, and when I got one, I bought it for the reasons you say. I love the car, I love to drive it, and I love the compliments I get and the conversations I can have about it (I think mailing lists and forums like this are proof enough! :))

Maybe stuff will work out soon - christmas has been tight, I am seriously overdue a pay rise that I have been promised for months and months, and I have a few niggling debts that I really want to settle.

I do really want to hang on to the Corrado - as I said, the posting was just to get some ideas on value.

Pimping the sis not an option then? :mrgreen:

Wasn't asking for me! :o

Could do a Corrado Forum discount though.. :lol:

jim mate....andi's right you'll only regret selling it,up until i bought my corrado i always regretted selling my ur-quattro (in 1996)even though it had more than its fair share of stone-chips at the front,a couple of wee rust scabs,knackered rear caliper and 108k miles plus it also cost a fortune to run(18mpg and a 20 gal tank)but god did i not actually cry tears :cry: when i sold it

my advice is prioritise whats needing doing and whats just cosmetic....the wee scrape on the bumper can be left til your in the money....its not exactly going to rust is it

remember that most of the costly things that you have done to it won't be needing done again for a fair while

as for the electrics you can live without elec/mirrors,and also the heater control could just be the contacts? in the actual rotary controls needing cleaned up

anyway if you still decide that the car must go then £3-£4k would seem reasonable enough....i certainly wouldn't let it go for anything less than the £3k(which is rock-bottom imo)

Well I went over my cash flow and figures with the old man.. I think its just a matter of prioritisation as you point out Roddy (sweet Audi btw m8!)

I already know I would seriously regret selling my car, and that is why I am so loathed to do it.

Jobs due in the next few months? Due a good service at Stealth Racing around March time.. and I also really want to get a new exhaust system put on as the current one just sucks totally - plenty of rattles, squeaks, and the thing blows from just about every joint and seal! Mechanically, as far as I know, the car is ok - I think I have an occasionally sticking rear calliper, but thats not causing any big problems for now. Engine seems to be fine fow now. Though I do need to pick up some new proper OEM ignition leads - my cheap Hella ones dont have any way of getting the cars ignition reference sensor onto the cables.. not ideal leaving it off really! :)

Then the rest of the jobs are cosmetic.. alloy wheel refurb, get stone chips looked at, get some scrapes on the sills painted up (from people getting in and out) and the car should look great again.

Need to get a local lockup garage sorted out too!! Help keep it out of the hands of vandals and people who dont know who to park!

Thanks for the advice chaps. :)

dont do it dont sell it i have often thought about changing mine for a rallye but then i thought f*** it i will just get a rallye and keep the corrado too! :roll: but seriously mate you will regret selling it !!

after all

ITS NOT JUST A CAR ITS A WAY OF LIFE!

P.S still havent goten round to buying a rallye as im havin to much fun with the corrado! oh and the 3 other golfs i own!

cheers jim but if you sell your corrado :shock: you'll be needing them more than me :cry:

8vg60 couldn't have put it better though

ITS NOT JUST A CAR ITS A WAY OF LIFE!

I thought about selling my g60 at the begining of the year I even had it up for sale and had people coming to look at it. But when I came to sell it I just could'nt do it, I'm glad I didn't know even though recently I have had quite a few problems with it and spent a good 2 grand on it I still wouldn't be able to bring myself to sell it. Keep your chin up lad you'll find the money somehow to keep it on the road it's all part of the fun of owning a car like the C. DONT SELL IT!!!!

My two penneth!

Jim, don't do it under any circumstances!

I know exactly how you feel. I had a real love/hate relationship with my G60. Only had it a year and it cost me a fortune. It got to the stage where I started to worry every time I drove, or every time it rained (it leaked!). I just couldn't afford to keep paying out. This started to take all the fun out of it, so I sold it. I replaced it with a 1995 Honda Civic VTI which was a fantastic car- looked great, very fast, nice to drive, Honda reliability, revved to 8000 etc etc. Not a Corrado though! Only kept it 4 months- I simply had to get another Corrado. Thought I'd be a bit more sensible, so got the 16v, and already things have started to go wrong! Don't regret it though 'cos I've got one of the best front drive coupes ever made.

You're a real enthusiast mate - you won't last five minutes without it! As everyone else has said, you just have to prioritise what you get done on the car. Try not to be such a perfectionist (I know it's hard) and just get mechanical problems sorted until you're a bit more flush. Don't worry about mirrors, bodywork etc - they can wait.

Don't sell it - you'll regret it for sure.

Andy

Andy,

Nice to see you made it to the forums mate :)

Thanks for the opinions.. I am starting to get over the need to sell the car..

Jim,

Glad to hear it!

Should have all my probs sorted next week- I'm having a Magnex exhaust fitted, a new sunroof motor, new window switches and the CD changer mounted in the boot. Hopefully I won't have to spend out again for a while! Can't wait for the exhaust. My current one looks good (twin DTM) but it knocks continuously and is driving me mad!

Before I forget, when is the CCGB rolling road day again? I'd be well up for that. Your car is running excellent BHP- any mods? Seem to remember you've got a panel filter- think I might have to get one!

Cheers buddy

Andy

Andy,

I think it helped that I was running on Optimax at the time. As far as I know, the car is basically standard - it could have been rechipped in its life at some point, but I can't be sure. A new panel filter is the only real engine upgrade.

Mind if ask where you are getting your Magnex & how much its costing? As I have said, want a new exhaust some time this year - but Stealth quoted me for a Jetex but I have had a tepid response off people about that.

Not too sure on the rolling road day - I'll have a dig through the archive and see if I can find it. John Munyard said he will be sending an email out when people can start putting their names down so...

Jim,

Got the Magnex for £300 inc VAT and delivery from Motorsportworld.co.uk - I've bought a couple of things from them and their service is superb. They are friendly and do everything they can to help. They also do the best reductions around. I think the Magnex was 15% off.

I would go for a Magnex or a Milltek- have only heard positive things about both. My mechanic mate is fitting mine next week and he told me Magnex are the *only* aftermarket exhausts which fit perfectly every time.

Think I'll go for a K & N panel filter when I go for a service next month.

Andy

Hm.. unfortunately I dont have any mechanic friends.. think i'll be going the normal route for getting a new exhaust fitted then :)

Jim> saw your car the other night I think...is it L***GVH or something? turning left into Broad Lane towards Hearsall Common. Sweet looking car mate, don't sell...mine's off the road at the moment (immobiliser probs) but's how about linking up soon?

Just fitted a set of 9x16 rims also!! :D 8)

Valver,

Thats the one. Was just on the way to my sisters boyfriends house. The car is looking seriously dirty at the minute so thanks for the compliment :)

I have been keeping an eye out for your car but if you say its off the road, then no wonder I haven't seen it :)

And yea could definately link up at some point. :mrgreen:

jim.....you wont go far wrong with either the magnex or miltek systems..... i'm pretty sure halfords do the magnex exhaust.....supplied and fitted etc for roughly the £350 mark,i had star-performance fit my miltek in september and they charged me £340 all in,so they both should be roughly the same price....though i think if you go the halfords route they do low interest finance on bits over £250?????(though i could be wrong :? )

anyway glad :D that your keeping her as she looks a beauty from all your pics 8)

Will be a few months before I can afford an exhaust, but Magnex and Milltek are the two that I keep hearing about.

I have been quoted for both Supersprint and Jetex by Stealth Racing, but I heard that Supersprints need continual tweaking and tightening (dont fit too well), and the Jetex is just a bit too loud. I dont want either of that.. just want a nice rumbly, well sealed and good quality exhaust.

I will enquire at Halfords when I am down there next :)