Sign in to follow this  
G60Jet

MK4 Golf TDIs...Which is which. what's best

Right Guys, the missus wants a MK4 TDI when we move to the UK in a few weeks....so not knowing the MK4 at all, i was wondering what the best TDI to go for what the difference between 1,2, and 3 red letters, i know its the power but how much?

She's after a Black 5 door, are there any known issues. I will ask on the other forums but seeing as a lot of people hover over a few i thought i'd ask here first.

So give me Input..........

Wasn't it incredibly UNreliable in the Top Gear JD Power survey?

And for the redness, click here

I never said I pay for it, but if i let here buy the car she likes (as in advise here) i get to play with more toys of my own.

I never said I pay for it, but if i let here buy the car she likes (as in advise here) i get to play with more toys of my own.

Nigel mate, keep it car related please. Bit less about your private life.

;)

Nigel mate, keep it car related please. Bit less about your private life.

;)

tom you dirty sod

Around what year are you talking about?

Known issues with the golf 4 include:

Gearbox problems,

Door lock problems

MAF problems

Intercoolers

Yep windows dropping into the doors is a big problem for the MK4 and costly too! i am not sure how to check if it is going to happen but it WILL happen!

BTW Jet why oh why are you coming back to the uk?

re windows the piece the glass sits in is made of plastic and should be replaced with a metal part dont know if this is free or not

Never had any issues with my old dot's mk4 gti it never goes wrong. Never lost a window but know someone else who did. U need to put some bigger wheels on them or get it lowered as they not great on cornering though.

I like driveing it when i want that newer car smoothness and hasslefree drive which some days i consider swapping for, but i love gettin back into my rattly old corrado, the speed and the handling are in a different league.

door seals on MKIV golfs are crap and tear too... (got 8 of 'em in the staff carpark with various seals sticking out from under the doors... :roll: )