Sign in to follow this  
GB_SEAN

VR6 Cylinder Head Info ??

I am replacing chains tensioners clutch followers etc etc.. photo's will go on my gallery.

What I need to know is .. has anyone replaced the valve stem seals without removing the cylinder head as I know it can be done but need to know the tools required ??

Failing this I will dig deeper and replace the head gasket...

Think I read somewhere it can be done without removing the head, but it is easier with the head off. It was on a topic on the forumn somewhere.

I need to do this to my VR6, but I wasn't going to attempt it myself, I've not got a garage to work in not to mention the time required.

Good luck anyway mate.

Cheers

Ady

You need an a source of compressed air and an adapter that screws into the sparkplug hole to pressurise the combustion chamber and keep the valve on its seat whilst the spring is compressed to release the collets. The spring can then be removed and the seal replaced. The adapter is widely available from workshop suppliers.

Best wishes

RB

Yeah, I knew that the compression is need in the bores to hole the valve, it's the tool required that compresses the valve spring to remove the collets I was enquiring about? Any idea on that ??? Part number for VW etc maybe?