Sign in to follow this  
Reggit

Mass Airflow sensor .... turned out to be a spark plug

I swear this car has something against me at the minute.

It's just started running badly...again, feels like the engine is momenterily cutting out and then restarting.

Vagcom says G70 Mass airflow sensor - short to ground, intermittent.

Is this likely to be repairable, given price of a new one, and more importantly where is this sensor?

Is it usual to have a batch of sensors fail within a few months of each other? I'm getting a bit fed up (and skint) of changing them all!

The sensor is located inbetween the airbox and throttlebody elbow. Don't think they are repairable. Cheapest place I found was from a Bosch dealer, £150 exchange.

Took connector off and gave it a squirt of WD40, cured problem for a while.

Yesterday the car suddenly felt as if it was misfiring, although there was no smell of unburned fuel. No Vagcom faults showing.

Will replace MAF anyway as it has thrown a fault, does symptom above sound like failure?

Does any one know of a Bosch outlet in Manchester, their website isn't working.

Unpluging connector when engine is running causes engine to stutter and stall.

Would a MAF of a VR6 Golf (1994) be the same? Mate's got one so I could probably borrow it briefly to substitute.

Unplug the MAF and make sure the plug has a seal round the edge of it inside, it's usually clear. If that's missing water can get it in there and short the connections. If the seal is present, sounds like the MAF is dodgy. I had one do that on me aswell.

Finally found the problem, and it wasn't the MAF. I was fortunate enough not to buy one.

Of all things it was a spark plug on number 6 cylinder. The insulator has broken away and jammed on the electrodes. Also caked up in oily goo, for want of a better description. I'm hoping that's a result of the plug failure and not an engine problem in the making.

Anyway it goes like stink again so I'm happy :)

Still doesn't explain the MAF error on vagcom, but I'll ingore that for now and see if it returns in the future.