Sign in to follow this  
aks_uk

Fuel Distributor???

Hi guys...I'm in desperate need of some advice. After 2 months of my car not running right with a lumpy idle and lumpy acceleration in 1st and 2nd gears, I got my car checked out by an auto electrician.

He showed me that the fuel ditributor was not pumping fuel through injector no.1. This was done by loosening the bolts on the fuel distributor one by one..each time it had an 'dying' effect except for when no.1 was loosened, no effect..when it was taken off, the fuel wasn't pumping out as would be expected.

Can anybody tell me if replacing the fuel distributor would do the job, or are there more complications that I need to consider for example fuel pump or individual injectors??. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks

aks_uk, Could be a sticking valve inside the fuel distributor. I had this problem with my old Scirocco 1.8i. I removed the fuel distributor, shook it around & tapped it gently on the workbench. Re-fitted it to the car & my problem was solved.

While your car is running - try tapping the fuel distributor with a spanner, see if that clears the problem.

thanx for the advice will try that...but if that doesn't work, is it easy to remove? and approximately how much will it be for a new part?

aks_uk, new fuel distributors retail at around £350 from VW - give me a shout if you need one, I should be able to get a new one for you, cheaper that that.

Dead easy to remove - just unscrew the securing bolts & it lifts off.

Tried tapping the damn thing but no difference...revved the car to its limits a couple of times and it started working. Running nice and smooth today thankfully, just hope it stays like this, if not then I guess I'll post again for a replacement part. Thanx again for the support.

Akhtar

Try to clean the

fuel metering plunger and

housing with White spirit or

carb cleaner,also check tht the

air flow plate's not off center in

the funnel.Be very carefull not

to drop the fuel plunger...

Was just having a look under the bonnet and found another major problem. The Distributor's (spark distributor's) hold down bolts were also loose. When trying to tighten them, I noticed that the bolts just kept on spinning..it seems that the thread in the holes have got worn and now they just wont tighten. Is there anyway around this problem?