Sign in to follow this  
Tattie

Inner CV Joint - Kaput!

Hi folks,

boy was I lucky today? On the way to GSF at Lincoln just turned off the main road and almost into the car park. I stop to let another car out and when I lift the clutch to start moving again all I get is a horrible thudding and grinding noise.

I thought the clutch was ok because I could get it in gear and it seemed to work as it should. Rang Volkskraft to pick their brains and they said could be a driveshaft or cv problem - quite comman apparently!

Walked into GSF and they recommmended a garage just down the road to check it out for me.

Anyway long and the short of it was that the inner CV joint drivers side had completely given up the ghost. All the bolts etc were still in place but the inner ball bearings had disintergrated or what ever.

Luckily GSF had them in stock and the garage fitted it there and then for me. Cost 90 quid including the push there!

Not bad but bloody lucky I wasn't on the way back from work. I would have been well in the clag then, plus in the bloody sticks.

Could have been quite embarrassing in the middle of an overtake too

Nice one - we always like to help... :wink:

Convenient place to break down - if there is a convenient place to break down, that is.....

I was once in route GSF in my Golf when the engine suddenly became really lumpy. I assumed that it was an electronic ignition problem so bought new sparks, plugs rotor cap etc. Turns out that my head gasket had gone, but GSF did very well out of it. So the Morale of the story is don't drive to GSF, It might cost more than you originally intended. (Only joking Steve ;))