Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

paint chip repairs

hey all

Has anyone any experience of getting paint chips sorted without getting a full panel respray. I keep seeing these companies that do it but I am bit dubious as to how good they are.

Am looking to get a few minor chips on a wheel arch sorted and also the paint has worn away to the undercoat on the drivers cill. I know a respray is the best option but its not the cheapest and funds are tight.

Any advice/comapny names would be good

ta

Matt

I resprayed the driver's sill myself and the paint is still there 2 years on. It's a textured surface so finish isn't critical, have a go at it your self mate.

Stone chips are easy...fill the holes with touch up paint and then polish it back till it's level with the paint again....

I looked into this too, but didn't think it was feasible in the end. If you have a few dents, where the paint hasn't chipped then I think it is worth doing paintless dent repair, reasonably cheap. But getting the chips sorted out by these companies doesn't last that long apparently - I've been told about 2 years. I looked into the cost and decided it wasn't worth it. So I am going to wait and take it to a proper bodyshop. In the meantime I have carefully touched up any chips to prevent rust.

If you are interested in it then honest john has some useful contacts:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=23