Sign in to follow this  
Kevin Bacon

VR6 owners - Change of sparkplug

Just a minor change in case you don't already know...

The standard non-platinum NGK BKR5EKU is now superceded with BKR5EKUP at the dealers, so it's platinum or nothing from now on. Both flavours were available up until a month ago but VW only listed the non-platinum, VW eh?

The U's were £3.57 each and I'm afraid your UP plug change is now going to cost you £8.42 x 6 :(

And if that isn't bad enough, Stealth reckon the plats last no longer than the normal ones, both should be changed at 10K intervals to maintain peak performance.

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk may still be able to get the Us and they also do NGK iridiums for the same price as VW's plats.

IYHO do you think that the sparkplugs will make a big difference to the performance of the vr6?? I dont know much about them :lol:

Thanks for the info Kev. How long do Iridiums last then/how often would you have to change those?

Surpised that Plats plugs last the same time as normal ones. I thought the whole point of having platinum in spark plug electrodes over steel alloys was that it was more resistant to chemical and electrical erosion so it would last longer?

The plat plugs they supply for the VR6 must be the rubbish minimal platinum, high cost units then, copied below (or maybe the text below is a load of rubbish?):

Using platinum almost eliminates electrode wear. Platinum is expensive, but it can double or even triple a spark plug's normal service life - from 30,000 to 45,000 miles for a standard plug up to 60,000 to 100,000 miles or more with platinum. Most aftermarket plug suppliers do not make specific mileage claims for their platinum plugs, but say to follow the OEM replacement intervals - which in most cases is 100,000 miles for platinum plugs.

Though long-life platinum plugs cost more than standard spark plugs, the OEMs are using them for several reasons. One is that they reduce the risk of misfire, which is essential to meet OBD II requirements. Another is that they help prolong the life of the catalytic converter (also by reducing misfires). Third, they almost eliminate the need for periodic maintenance. On many engines today, replacing the spark plugs can be a difficult and time-consuming job - particularly the back bank of plugs on transverse-mounted V6 engines in front-wheel drive cars and minivans.

One important point to keep in mind about platinum plugs is that they're not all the same. Some are more durable than others, and some provide better fouling resistance and ignition performance than others. It all depends on the design of the plug, the type of alloys used for both the center and side electrode(s), the configuration of the electrodes and the engine application.

Jboy - No spark plug can make an engine more powerful as such, but a good quality plug can maintain a healthy spark for a more consistent burn. There's plenty of info on that spark plugs website. The chap that runs that is a top bloke and doesn't feed you BS. Fast delivery on plugs and HT leads too!

Iridium is the ultimate metal, Roddy's got some in his VR....

Ford - I don't know what quality the VW plats are but they're NGKs, so won't be sh1t. I looked at them today and they look identical to the non-plats! As for life, I inspected my non-plats after 8000 miles and the centres are going triangular already. I'm hoping the plats will last a bit longer and they're called "LONGLIFE" on VW's ordering system....so can always take em back after 10K if they're knackered!

Iridium is the ultimate metal, Roddy's got some in his VR....

!

courtesy of mr haywire of course :D

How's it running on the Riddies mate? Was gonna get some more but needed some today...so got the plats from the dealer.

How's it running on the Riddies mate? Was gonna get some more but needed some today...so got the plats from the dealer.

can't say ive noticed anything amiss with them.......car starts on the button/idles sweetly etc

So Roddy, how many miles have you done with the iridiums? Would be very interesting to see how much longer they last in the VR compared to the plats (especially as they are they same price, which is interesting in its self - platinum as a metal is 6 times the price of iridium in the market, but it must be its hardness and difficulty to work that makes up the price of the spark plug for the iridiums).

Iridium is the ultimate metal

Agree with that one - it is the most corrosive resistant metal known to man.

Can you guess what I do for a living (apart from trawling the CF all day)?

So Roddy, how many miles have you done with the iridiums? Would be very interesting to see how much longer they last in the VR compared to the plats (especially as they are they same price, which is interesting in its self - platinum as a metal is 6 times the price of iridium in the market, but it must be its hardness and difficulty to work that makes up the price of the spark plug for the iridiums).

Iridium is the ultimate metal

Agree with that one - it is the most corrosive resistant metal known to man.

Can you guess what I do for a living (apart from trawling the CF all day)?

IIRC they were put in about 66k miles(June last year) and i'm now siting at just over the 70k mile mark