Sign in to follow this  
the_croft

Burning smell from engine ba

Hi all, slight problem with my G60, when i run the engine for a couple of mins i get a burning smell, sort of like rubber smell.....

it is coming from around the area where the throttle is... i think.

the car had a new engine mount last week could it be that or anything related.

any ideas would be great.

Cheers

Matt

Fractured exhaust or leaking exhaust manifold ??

Engine will have been raised to replace the mounting - often damages the exhaust system !!

Alternatively - leaking cam cover gasket - oil running down the back of the head, burning on the exhaust manifold ??

Could be the inner cv boot rubbing on the exhaust downpipe, and as everything in that area will have been moved when the engine was jacked up to replace the mount I would put my money on it being that!

Burning smells are usually easy to track down, take a look at the down pipe on the rear of the motor and see if anything is leaning on it. There is some wiring back there for the speed sensor and O2 sensor that can come loose and this can fall against the manifold and burn. As mentioned above you can also have oil leaking from the top engine cover and this will leak right onto the exhaust as the engine is pushed back. Oil is usually pretty easy to see because it will leave dark stains where it burns off. Inner cv boots that are ripped can also fling grease and that can land on the exhaust as well. A good visual inspection should show something for you.

Cheers, Dennis

Cheers, i have had a look and cant see any sign of oil or anything, as the car gets hotter its starts to produce a little bit of white steam/smoke.

to be honest dont know my way round an engine very well, the other day i sprayed some wd40 on the bit where the throttle cable goes...

Croft, I had that one time, it was the rubber burning on the siezed cambelt tensioner, may be wise to check it out!