Sign in to follow this  
fla

Replacement hoses, cleaning existing ones

Some of the hoses feeding the FPR have some fabric braid on them whilst some of the others are looking a bit tired - that may also be due to the varnish-type material on them. I want to replace these but what should be used in place? Also, for some of the other hoses with the yellow varnish, i want ot remove the varnish without damaging the hose - how best to do this? I thought that this was just the wax that is all over the car and in the engine bay, but this is harder and doesnt come off, rather it sort of chips off. The yellow looks just terrible. There is also a fair amount on the black plastic which also doesnt want to come off and I am loath to use a wire brush on it as it will look even worse. Gunk has had no effect.

Use the correct hose from the dealer, should be instock and doesn't cost much.

True that.

Don't clean em...replace em...

You really need to look closely at the hoses and make sure they are in good shape. The vacuum hose going the FPR is very important and if it was starting to show its age I would simply replace it. These hoses break down over time and stop doing their job & cause vacuum leaks so it is important that they are changed. Same goes for coolant & fuel hoses, if they llok like they are going to fail then chances are they will and it will strand you somewhere if it is an important hose.

Cheers, Dennis