Sign in to follow this  
JT

50mm inlet manifold questions!!!!!

hi guys, i've been offered a 50mm inlet manifold for my mk2 16v kr and would like to know what is involved with fitting it !!! is it a pay some one else to do it job etc!!! or can i bolt on and go!!! the throttle body has been removed as well so can i use my old one !!! if anyone can help me it would be much apprecited, cheers

thought Golfs were already fitted with the 50mm inlet?? the rado has the smaller ones..

hi guys, i've been offered a 50mm inlet manifold for my mk2 16v kr and would like to know what is involved with fitting it !!! is it a pay some one else to do it job etc!!! or can i bolt on and go!!! the throttle body has been removed as well so can i use my old one !!! if anyone can help me it would be much apprecited, cheers

read the club GTI forum on this issue, unless you have a highly tuned 2.016v with high lift cams etc... then the general consensus is stick to the 42.5mm inlet, it's not restrictive on power and gives far better torque than the 50mm version.

One mk2 16v owner has tried both on a tuned golf and got both worse power and torque figures throughout the rev range when he swapped to the 50mm.

It's also more than just the mm diameter, the 42.5mm is a different design (slightly) and this affects performance too. Pretty much all post 1990 golfs, corrado's and passats use the 42.5mm with good reason it seems.

David.

170bhp+ and 150lbft torque on a 2.0 16v and 42.5mm inlet :)

cheers guys, davidwort, cheers buddy don't think i'll bother then it's obviously the way it is for a reason.

Ive recently fitted 1 to mine,seems to suit the modifications better.

The 1.8 was designed to use the 50mm,think vw put the smaller 1s on corrados due to there weight.

JT wot motor have you got and is it on the IOW? Il keep an eye out for it!

flusted, that's not correct... ALL early 1.8 16Vs came with the smaller (42mm) inlet manifold... it was only later on in the production that the 50mm inlet was fitted to some of the range to boost their BHP figures and move the torque up the rev range a little...

Should i of said,the 50mm was designed for the 1.8 engines.The plenum is small to go with the smaller capacity.

I prefer it on mine anyway so thats all that matters!!!!!!!!!

Aye, The Henn meister is correct. VW fitted the 50mm manifold to 88 on 16Vs. The classic Monza blue 16Vs were always the fastest and they had the 42mm job.

The story behind the mannys is VW were never happy with the torque output of the 1800 and played about with several designs. The 42mm and 50 being the fruits of their labour.

I personally saw a 154bhp with 140ft/lb from one of my 16V MK2s with the 42mm manny. It had Kstar, 2 exhaust cams and the WUR mod, standard filter and exhaust. With the 50mm manny? 158bhp and 128lb/ft!!

now i'm totally confused so would my 91 mk2 16v already have the 50mm inlet or not !!!

flusted you have pm

The classic Monza blue 16Vs were always the fastest and they had the 42mm job.

The later 88 ones when the front windows changed had the 50mm manifold, my one did anyway.

now i'm totally confused so would my 91 mk2 16v already have the 50mm inlet or not !!!

It would have been fitted with a 50mm when it left the factory.

according to my C handbook it has 139 bhp. dont know bout the golf

but then, id be scared to put my c on a dyno, wouldnt of thought it would have that much bhp lol.