Sign in to follow this  
g60_Pete

golfs

last year i took a year out before uni to get some wonga, one of the mechanics there had a golf rallye, now im not a big fan of golfs but holy shit was that thing fast, it was lhd so when i got the chance to drive it i barely got out of first cos i kept smacking my hand on the door card heh, but he'd had alot of work done and it was pumping out around 220bhp o_O now that car went like a cat on fire with a bottle of no2 up its arse, is a g60 rado going to compare? clearly not round the twisty bits im sure the golf would have tken it there with it being 4wd...

the Golf Rallye and the Corrado G60 share the same engine more or less. the block slightly different due to the slight CC difference.

The Corrado is heavier than a standard golf, but im guessing there is not much in it with the rallyes extra running gear.

as for power both cars kick out about the same in standard form iirc.

The Corrado Handles far better than a standard golf, but not having driven a rallye i cant say. One thing for sure, the rallyes four wheel drive system will get better power down to the road, all be it a little slower in the first instance. but once the wheels are turning the traction should be great

A decent Corrado G60 can happily be taken to 200bhp with very little work... It's about the same weight as the Rallye, but obviously doesn't come with 4wheel drive from the factory so the corrado will loose a little on the traction/grip front... Other than that, they're reasonably similar performance... 8)

What's the weight difference between a Golf and a Corrado. There can't be that much difference.

PeteJ, you fancy a Golf G60, I'm not to far from you and thinking about selling mine soon.... ;-)

'lo Cai, long time no see... how's tricks? 8)

I'm pretty sure that there's only a couple of KG difference between the rallye and the Corrado G60 in full road trim...

*Not bad Henny. Havent posted on here for ages! Been really busy finishing uni and working on a couple of other things Sorry to hear about your car Henny, real shame. So that excess of Borbets did come in handy! ;-)

*post hijack, sorry

Back on topic, I can say that a Golf G60 can be scary fast if you havent driven it for a while. (Cant comment on Corrado G60 as I havent got one) I recently had a promotional Smart car to drive around for a month. When I got back in my car afterwards I could hardly floor it anywhere in any gear without shaking! Good experience reminds you how the work and money spent has been worth it!

Would fitting a LSD, make the traction more compareable (if not better) to a Rallye?

Yup, makes a fair old difference, but you still can't quite match the 4wd effect from the Rallye in a FWD car around the twisty bits... :( (I know, I tried and failed miserably! :lol: )