Sign in to follow this  
juloesG60

G60 Runs and Cuts out, checked like everything!! Help!

Basically over a month ago, took car to a garage in Reading cause i could feel wasnt running quite 100%, bit rough, was suggested to replace dizzy cap and rotor arm, fair enough was better...but then drove bout 100 miles came to big M4 roundabout and bang revs go everywhere and cuts out! worst thing having to be toed off by a Ford KA, yes a Ford KA!!

So after checking all i could see testing sparks, fuel and things thought probably Distributer itself so took it to another garage Karcare where luckily mechanic there Matt worked in VW for 7 Years. He thought ye distributer hall sender, refurbished mine, tuned it ran fine and the agian cut out!!!

Back to square one next stop management ECU! found 6 solders had burnt out in ECU! after some tracking managed to find one on Ebay £70 not bad contnected and he ran the car for 2 hours..then u guess it cut!

Now he is checking Fuse box/relays things says is a bit of a mess cause of apparent bodged alarm fitting and found a melted relay...a possible sollution but as u can imagine Labour is stacking up!

Has anybody had similar problem? Burnt Out ECU? Cutting Out? What was the cause?

thanks, sorry bit lengthy! But I need the boy back despirately

Deleted duplicate.

I have a similar problem, ran rough for a couple of weeks, could'nt see anything obvious then got worse and started cutting out at idle, then when driving...

I have changed the distributer too as I thought it was the hall sender but no better...

Do you think yours is temp related?? - ie runs ok until it gets to opperating temp??

I dont know if it is temp related, im doubtful due to the guy working on it telling me it ran for 2 hours and it must of got up to temp before then!

I am not sure whether the melted relay was the ECU one, but i am praying that it is that but everytime there seems like an answer, something else seems to appear!

Also he said if it is that it could be costly to replace, surely replacing a relay cant be too taxing?

If its blowing ECUs then I'd be concerned about the engine earths. If the earths fail/go high resistance the weakest link is thru the ECU.

Gavin

deffo with Gav here... if the main earth to the gearbox gets crappy, then the engine and startermotor will try and earth through the path of least resistance which will be through your ECU... not good...

Check the cable on the -ve on the battery which then runs onto the chassis under the battery and then onto the gearbox... if this looks green or has lots of white powder on it, replace it with a new one from VAG (about £28 IIRC)

cheers for replies, looks like it was in the fuse box some very dodgy wiring by a previous owner jamming the alarm in! knob! Worst thing is that the grarage bill came close to a grand!! yes a grand!! but least the beast is back on the roads...though now im ill so cant really go far! Jokes!