Sign in to follow this  
MarkGolf

VR6 headwork

Hi,

Been cleaning up my head today, and was wondering is there anything I should get done to it while its off...

I thought about port and polishing, but was told there really isn't too much point being a road car..

Without the obvious cam upgrades, whats worth doing, if anything?

Can you enlarge the exhaust manifold?

Cheers

Don't bother flowing the head unless you're planning on going all motor in a big way.

268 cams are great as I can testify....RS focus's need bother you no more. Those plus the Schrick manny see ridiculous 100 - 150 mph incremental times...it's ballistic.

No point enlarging the exhaust manny, focus instead on improving flow and a SuperSprint stainless manny fits that bill perfectly and the runners are also unequal length to tune the head in the same way the Schrick inlet does....not cheap at £550. Looks better as a bit of modern art than a car part actually.

You can see roughly 8 to 12 hp by porting the head and port matching the intake on the VR6. The exhaust port is pretty resrictive on the VR6 so if you are good an this kind of thing I would clean it up a bit for sure. I'm still unsure about port matching the exhaust ports, for a normally asperated motor you want to a little back pressure to help scavaging at low revs.

http://members.shaw.ca/vr6_corrado-1/Workin18.jpg

In the pic above you can see some of the casting marks and the porting I have done on the exhaust port of my VR6. These areas are easy enough to clean out and help improve air flow. I woul also look at some heat shielding for the bottom of the intake to reduce intake temps as well as composite spacers for the intake gaskets. These stop heat from being transferred and give you more power.

Dennis