Have you used Mobil 1 5w50 in your G60  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Have you used Mobil 1 5w50 in your G60

• yes but never again
    • yes i use it all the time
    • No
    • wouldn't touch the stuff

Hi Guys,

My ISV has started to whistle everytime i start the car, (it is the isv as the noise is coming from it, checked while the bonnet was open and reving the engine slightly) as soon as the car has warmed up slightly is stops, have i got a problem or is it cos the air temp is high here now. (but does it in the underground car park after work.)

Im gonna be changing my oil at the weekend so im gonna be working on the car.

has anyone used any of that mobil 1 5w50 in the g60 engine yet? you know the tri synthetic stuff. ment for turbo engines etc. can i put it in my g60 instead of 10w40 given the hotter climate here?

i use 15w50 ... works great and lasts longer than other oils i'm familiar with. i still change it at 5000km... doin it tonight again actually now that the charger is broken in and my fuel pressure regulator has arrived... time to go for a good rip! :D

..well, not all out... but harder than i have been. :? i need to buy a dyno for the backyard ;)

Nigel... I think you may have just solved my mystery whistle, happens when i rev engine and goes away when warmed up... This has only happened as we have reached summer if thats significant (i didnt have the car until the end of last summer)

I will investigate and check the ISV soon and let you know! - Does anyone know if this means the ISV needs replacing soon, the car is running spot on (standard G60 just hit 80k) but I would rather replace before i break down!! - I don't think the an expensive part anyway - worth trying to clean it out or just replace??

dont replace the ISV just get a BBM re-route kit, if you are gonna get one let me know so we can save on the postage

Hi Nigel, any "whistling" noises in the context of a G60 engine can typically be related to movement of boosted air through a restriction or leak to atmosphere. In your case it sounds like your ISV is allowing boost air to blow back through hence the whistling noise. Clearly without inspection hard for me to confirm but my first port of call would be to clean out the ISV with carb spray cleaner and refit. Your problem is more prominent at start up on cold engine due to increased idle speed at this phase. If ISV does not respond to cleaning then a fault is likely to be present. A re-route kit will relieve the symptoms but not cure the prob overall.

16VG60, i think your right, just dont want to take the thing of and clean it at the mo and end up buying a new one!! :(