Sign in to follow this  
pimp

Noises from the under the bonnet.

I have recently noticed some creaking and groaning noises coming from under the bonnet. They only happen when I'm steering at low speeds. I thought it mignt be my bushes, but a friend thinks it may be the steering rack. Has anyone had any problems with their steering??

The noise goes when I get past about 15mph.

Mine does something similar, its mainly when I steeri right and the slower you go the louder it gets. I didnt bother writing a thread on it as I thought that I would get back replies like ball joint, wishbone etc and I have had them all done. My car was in a smack and I think that my steering rack mayt need doing. I can never seem to get my steering wheels on straight and I think that this has something to do with it, to be honest it is the only thing I havent replaced under there.

When my car was once on the ramp I had a look underneath and there looked to be some rubbing on the power steering pipe / s so I am going to get this looked into further but there was definitely some new shiny steel that I could see. Sometimes when I am coming to park by turning right the noise is embarrising, well it is to me and nobody comments on it. I guess that is just because they dont want to upset me.

Has your car been in an accident or bang or something? How is your tracking after they say oits fully tracked? Mine still pulls to the left and that was after the tracking was done twice. The mechanic said he couldnt adjust my tracking any further as one side was wound fully out and he needed more so he said I should get the rack centred first then start over again which made sence then I took it to my local mechanic who is really good and he tracked it and said the side that is wound fully out needs to come back in again so I dont know whats going on. Im sure it may all boil down to the rack and if so I will get a new one as the feel through the steering is very important part of the cars drive and pleasure. I heard on the C its a bit of a nightmare so I may just have to have a go at doing it!

If you cure your problem then please let me know and I will do the same and we can discuss peoples opinions on this thread at a later time.

Cheers

no smacks since I've had it, 2 years now, I've only noticed it recently as I said. I had new suspension fitted about 6 months ago and everything was fine. My friend knows a good place in Essex that recons steering racks. I'm gonna check it next week. Will let you know what happens. Would do it sooner but I'm working all weekend.

Thanks alot Mike. I'll shall check it out. Don't suppose you know how bad it is to hear that noise. is it pretty much terminal or something a little less drastic? How could it have happened. It's not leaking fluid anywhere that I can see?

Thanks again.

Steve.

The bentley decribes a whole range of noises as 'normal' so I shouldn't worry unless you find the steering suddenly getting heavier even with the engine running.

Mention it next time you take it for a service.

It's a new noise, that's why I was worried, and it's really loud from inside the car. Quite embarrasing when the rest of the car is so quiet. Still if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Found a new problem yesterday though Mike.

I seem to have a leak from my rad or one of the pipes. Only under hard driving. Pulled up at home on Sat night a saw steam coming from under the bonnet, can't see anything obvious. Had a nose around Sunday after work but couldn't see much, had the car up to temp as well and still no leak?? That seems quite puzzling. Still just another to add to the growing list. :scratch:

If the coolant tank cap is crewed on tightly, one thing to consider might be that you have a problem with the cylinderhead gasket.

This can be checked by testing the coolant for exhaust gases. Most gararges have the ability to do this.

A more common failure point is the thermostat housing wich warps over time. parts aren't to bad for this though. Look for signs of coolant leaks down the front of the engine on the rhs (viewed from the front).

If it is the cooling housing for the thermostat thats leaking that will be on the LEFT hand side of the engine looking towards it mike!! A common fault wth water leakage is the plastic housing on the front of the head where the top rad hose connects too it's made of plastic and they suffer from hairline cracks between the face and the 10mm bolts that attatch it to the block I ve had this problem twice now no big deal they cost about £15 look for signs of coolant leak around this area my car only showed signs of leaking when taken over a couple of thousand rpm's. Doesn't sound like a headgasket failure to me as there wouldn't be tseam visable you would just find a browny mallowy mixture on your oil cap where thye water has been mixing with the oil. Have a look for leaks around the radfan switch as this is another common area for leaks!!

I've been having similar trouble to Pimp on my 1.8 16v - power steering moaning and groaning, and it's getting worse..

I replaced my water pump not long ago. Is the p-steering pump a similar job. Does anyone have any tips on doing this and what bits actually need replacing?

Cheers!

Digga

My power steering can be quite weird sometimes..... feels a little heavy for power steering but that I feel is probably down to the fact I have just driven a Mercedes van for 3 days and got back into the VR *:) - it is a bit weighted am told....

Anyways sometimes when I go round a bend pretty quick the steering all of sudden goes really heavy (as in doesnt wind back) then returns to normal - Im talking for a split second it does this... really weird.

No noises (except on full lock), no leaks, etc

Perhaps its time to check the bushes / tyre pressures.... :?

The steering is progressive steering. The harder you drive the stiffer it gets which helps with control. You have no worries there mate! 8)

Really? :shock:

Learn something new every day :D

I did notice that it gets heavier at speed..... :D

My leak looks like it's the thermostat housing as described by Banana man, I have a VR so it's on the right as described by Mike. Thanks chaps, I shall crack on as soon as the car is back from the insurance people.

Only another 100 odd things left the list. :lol: