Sign in to follow this  
rossy t

Hi im new :) - techie questions.

hey everyone im a newbie on here hoping to become a regular.

im really excited about getting myself a corrado ive always had a soft spot for them and now im in a position to buy one, its narrowed down to the following choices:

1993 VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO 2.0 16v,

K reg. 123000 miles, Blue, FSH, MOT Dec, Clifford full closure alarm, ABS, PAS, e/windows, c/locking, CD, alloys, VGC,. £2,900 . ono.

VOLKSWAGEN CORRADO 1.8 16V, G reg.

109000 miles, Met Blue, MOT till Jan06, 6mths tax, VGC. Alloy wheels, CD player + changer,full S/S Exhaust system, £££s Spent.. £2,850 . ono.

i cannot afford the insurance and running costs of vr6 or g60 so its got to be the straight 16valver for me.

ive read the buyers guide but i have a few questions for you lads.

1) apparently there is not a great deal of difference between the 1.8 and 2 litre 16v engine in "real world" performance, ie the cams are quite restrictive on standard 2.0 and with a cat on too it strangles the performance. whatever one i get ill have a straight through exhaust with decat on it so my real question is, if i go for the 1.8 will it be "slow" and will i always wish i plumped for the 2litre?

2) the second one of the two cars is is 3 years older which means its an earlier model one, is that correct. does this work in the cars favour or not, obviously newer cars are going to have less to go wrong, in theory and both cars have been owned by enthusiasts so im sure they have been taken care of.

3) with the first one being newer, theres more to go wrong, ie faulty sunroof, air con and so forth, but what about driving experience and the on board leccys are they the same?

what it boils down to, is which one would you choose;

the lower miler 1.8 which is older but i think has been cared for really well.

or the higher miler 2 litre which is a newer model???

Don't let the higher milage put you off, i bought a low milage 2.0l 16v and the engine blew up. I would go for the newer one, and the answer to the question you will be asking in a few weeks - no there is not a hole in your bank account they really do cost that much! Worth it though

get out there and test it. If you have driven a mk2 golf gti 16v then you will have an idea of how it will accelerate although the Corrado being a bit heavier may be a bit slower and I'm not sure if the ratios are the same but plenty of people here will know. I would say, get it, keep it standard and then use the money you save not modding and get a G60/VR in 1 year?

hi caios, i did not spot that link, but the fact its for sale for over 3K puts it slightly out of my price range i think, and the other cars in question have been driven a regular and fair amount (10K a year) and have recently had alot of work done on them so they are in tip top.

i will give him a call, cheers mate :)

i`ve got 1.8 16v with 150k and although i`ve had the head done 18months ago it`s been fine really

(apart from usual things

suspension

brakes

cambel

exhaust etc)

also see sig below vvv

Condition is more important than age and mileage - whichever one you buy you won't regret it but you will spend money on it - thats part of the Rado experience

Condition is more important than age and mileage - whichever one you buy you won't regret it but you will spend money on it - thats part of the Rado experience

I can agree with that. Although a 40,000 mile car shouldn’t need a new gearbox, clutch or anything big doing for a long time. I know this isn’t guaranteed but is far more likely that on a high mileage car sorely. If that car is in A1 condition, which I reckon it will be, what a buy! (Its even still got the original mudguards on it, I love those! :oops: )

(can you tell how much I want it) :lol: :roll:

Nothing wrong with high mileage rados.. like everyone says as long as its been lookafter it'll be fine.. myns done 155k now..

the G plate you've added to the post seems to be abit pricey??

high milage rados? I've got one with 157Kmiles (and rising rapidly!) on it and another with almost 250K on it! :lol: As long as they've been well looked after, milage isn't as important as history.