Sign in to follow this  
rolex

sticking accelator cable???

:roll: sorry im a dum arse when it comes to under the bonnet.............(and most other things).

but when i touch the accelator the revs either stick at 2000rpm or go allthe round to the redline.......think the cable is returning but the throttle is staying open.....not sure...anyone got a cure?

cheers..

New cable I reckon dude, there is also a rubber grommet you might want to check where the cable goes thru into the cabin...

may also be the throttle butterfly itself sticking...

whats the best way to stop throttle sticking ?

(couidnt find anything on the search)

depends what it is that's gone wrong... If the throttle is jamming, then the pedal won't return, same goes if the cable is sticking, so let us know exactly what happens with the pedal as this is critical to working out what's going wrong...

After that, disconnect the throttle cable (with the engine switched off! :lol: ) and move the throttle lever by hand. See if the lever returns freely or not. If not, then it could well be jamming and will need the throttle body removing and checking out to find out what's wrong with it...

If the lever feels fine, then sling in a new throttle cable... They're not expensive and are simple to fit (even JimsG60 managed it on his car! ;) )

Other things to check are the wiring connector on the back of the throttle body. If this (or the wiring to it) is damaged, then the engine won't know when the engine's at idle and it'll rev erratically, and idle high, but shouldn't fly off around to redline... :|

Good luck!

If the lever feels fine, then sling in a new throttle cable... They're not expensive and are simple to fit (even JimsG60 managed it on his car! ;) )

Cheeky beggar ;)

Yes - sadly I am one of those who is rather unskilled when it comes to 'under the bonnet' type matters, but fitting the throttle cable really is a doddle - and as Henry says, they're nice and cheap :)

cheers henny....ive look at jimsg60 thread and it'll be handy when fitting new cable on saturday.

pedal returns ok but revs just go to redline untill i pull pedal back towards me (even though it is where it should be).

throttle lever does feel abit stiff,maybe.....but ill try the new cable saturday and hope its that....as the cable has felt stiff over last few weeks and no ones been near the throttle lever to damage it.(probelm just happened over night)

thanks again

by the way asked for me ccgb discount and he'd said never heard of it, and askd how much it was....without thinking i said 5% was that to little?

If you need to LIFT the throttle pedal, then something IS jamming... Get the cable changed and see if that cures it, OH, and don't forget to buy the little rubber O-ring/grommet that the cable attaches to the pedal's lever with, as your old one will be soggy and worn! 8)

CCGB discount varies from place to place... it ranges from around 5% upto about 15% depending on how far you can push your luck and how expensive the parts you're buying are... 8)

yep ordered grommet aswell...better make sure i push him up to 15% then for future refrence. :wink:

well thank god for that...throttle cable after all. like you all said ten minute job..(9 mins fitting grommet :x , 1 min fitting cable 8) ) cheers peeps for the help and that "excessively long thread" by jimsG60. :wink:

had idle probs for ages sticking on and almost cutting out lifting the acc pedal stopped this so i had a play around with the micro swich on the throttle body adjusted the cable and it seems to have solved it :D the cable is defo in need of replacement and the rubber grommet how much did it set u back?