Sign in to follow this  
tonertron

Hifi speakers in cars

I had been thinking about making a stealth shelf......esp after reading the shelf thread......and have thought about using a set of drive units from an old set of KEF speakers that I have.......the main unit is about 8" with a tweeter. The speakers sound sweet in their enclosure.......wondered if anyone else had tried this.

I have next week off work, and plan to do some work to the c....esp sorting out the speakers.....give it a good polish etc.

Should be OK as many modern HUs can run 8 ohms OK. If you're using an amp then you'll need to drop the resistance to 2 or 4 ohms, 6 at the absolute most. You can run the two drivers in parallel to halve the resistance but we need to know the impedance of each of the Kef drivers.

Whoa, people still do this? I thought we were the only ones that did it!

Must admit, when we did it was a crappy mk2 fiesta and some equally crappy kenwood speakers. Tweeters, mids, woofers - the lot. Looking hysterically funny! Didn't sound too bad considering though.

Given the price of speakers, I'd just grab a set for about £60 or so. That's all I've got on my stealth shelf. Infinity's powered by a PG QX series amp, kicks enough arse for my liking. Audio purists would shun the shelf idea though, can see where they are coming from too. Maybe an idea to make some door pods, and dump a sub/basslink in the boot.