Sign in to follow this  
Hans G60.nl

Does anyone know how to build a shift light ?

You all know them i suppose, the shift light which comes with the big rev. counters, i don't really like a big rev. counter for a corrado, but i do really want a shift light..

this is the idea:

there are places left in the dashboard for led's, just beneath the rev. counter... i want to put in 2 lights there, 1 for maximum torque, 1 for the maximum revs to shift at the right moment..

at the second led i want to connect a buzzer..

now i only have 1 problem left:

how do i build a print for this ?

like, what components would i need, how should i build a print (or let build if it's a difficult one, i can't make a real print myself, just pin on with the prints with holes in them)

etc. etc.

any ideas ?

I guess you'd need some kind of logarithmic counter chip, such as the LM3914,3915 & 3916 series. These chips count events (such as hall sender pulses for instance) and can be made to do certain things against certain parameters, like displaying a grid of LEDs etc etc.

You could just buy a tacho kit and take the circuit board out and run fly leads off the LED outputs and mount your own bulbs as you wish?

Kev

i think the tacho kit is a bit simpler to do...

then 2 bright led's and a buzzer connected...

BOOOAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR flash BOOAAARRR beeeepppp

;)

Autometer do a shift light the same as the ones that bolt onto there rev counters maybe easier to sort one of them

Go to http://www.summitracing.com, and look up shift lights. There's a company called proform i think which do seperate shift lights. You simply dial in the revs on the back without any need for rpm pills e.t.c. I think they are only 40 odd dollars. Not as neat as your idea but easier???? :)

i don't know if you know the CONRAD business, well know in the netherlands and germany,.... i have seen a little print with the components on their site..