Sign in to follow this  
blackcat

Which brake pads? 1.8 16v

I need new brake pads and discs on the front on my '91 1.8 16v. Is it best to get them from GSF or will halfords do? And which ones do I need from GSF, I have looked on website but I don't know which ones from the long list I need. What do you guys recommend?

From past experience I would go for standard Ferrodo ones available from Halfords.

I have Pagid fast road pads on mine, although they stop you, they do not have amaizing bite.

Taken from a post I copied a while back

More influential on the braking will be the pads you choose. It's tempting to pick sports/semi trackday pads but these can often need warming up before they start to work properly, meaning that you could find yourself with *less* braking capability when driving around town - not good!

Stock VW pads are fine as they have plenty of bite, but you'll find something like Pagid fast road pads are very similar in feel, but cost a lot less than VW ones.

I used to run a Zimmerman/Pagid combination on my VR6 which was fine, including trackday use. You can get that stuff at German & Swedish for something like £32ea for front discs and £26 for a pair of pads. Make sure the pads are 14mm, not 19mm ones as the G&S computer sometimes recommends the wrong ones for a Corrado and the 19's won't fit.

Personally I'd recommend OE disks all round, OE rear pads and either OE or Pagid F/R on the front (what I'm doing). But pad choice is very much a matter of personal preferance I'm afraid, so you only know by trying them.

I fitted some Zimmerman drilled discs and Pagid fast road pads to my G60 not long ago. They have just bedded in and they have a discernable difference in stopping power over standard. They work fine from cold and the whole lot only cost me £129 delivered from GSF. Bargain!

ok, thanks guys. Does anyone know if GSF in Hitchin give a discount? I need a water pump too, might be worth getting them all together.

I am in hitchin at the mo blackcat. Best man to answere your question there would be stevemac on this forum. He is the GSF guru. :notworthy: