Sign in to follow this  
Coley17778

Ported Throttle Body

nice one,i have a spare t/b kicking about,gonna get at it :!:

what are the realistic gains or change in throttle response?

neil. :)

on a G60 it makes a difference over standard even if you've done nothing else... 8) It makes for a sharper throttle response although I'd doubt if you'd see any power increase without porting everything else too... ;)

ok guys,i went crazy on the spare t/b!

do ya reckon ive fecked it?

used red and black marker pen to show things up better,still need to finish off the inlet side by turning it into a venturi shape and polishing/porting a little more. i think? :lol:

neil.

That looks sweet! i slimmed the small shaft and fitted countersunk screws as the 16v tb has huge screw heads that take up half the port!!!

cheers m8 8)

i may work it some more too!

anyone know how much of a job it is to change the t/b on a g?

neil.

it's about 20 mins to swap throttle bodies on a G60... Get new gaskets though, as if they leak then you'll get all sorts of weird running problems! ;) There's 2 gaskets, one between the throttle and inlet manifold and one inbetween the butterflies and inlet bit, make sure they're both new.

To replace the throttle body:

Undo the jubilee on the rubber intake pipe and pull the pipe off

Undo the jubilee on the boost return pipe and pull the pipe down and off

Remove the hose which goes to the carbon cannister

Remove the 2 vacuum hoses from the rear of the throttle body and disconnect the wiring connector.

On the cam cover there's 2 support bars, from memory I can't remember if you need to remove one to get the throttle body out or not, but if you do, remove it... ;)

Undo the 4 allen headed bolts and lift the throttle body off the inlet manifold.

Refitting is the reverse of removal [/haynes]

thanks henny,to be honest it sounds like itll be more fun putting this one back together :lol:

do gsf do the gaskets? or i suppose gasket paper would be fine?

and what ya reckon to the t/b?

neil,taking over another topic! :oops:

AFAIK gaskets are VAG only, but are nice and cheap. Just paper or card WON'T do as they're treated gaskets to make them stick properly and give a gas tight seal.

Porting looks pretty good... 8) Stick one of the gaskets in place and then you can see exactly where to take more material off... ;)

Riley, fancy lendin or selling me your old TB wen you put this one one? so that I can do mine.

G

How difficult are they to do yourself????

Ive never done one before but would be interested in having a go.

I like the extreme that you've managed to get yours to Riley!!! Fancy doing one for me???

they're more time consuming than difficult to do... I did a spare one for J-DUB after my original one that 16VG60 did for me broke (not due to John's work, due to the fact it had 250,000 miles of use on it! :lol: ) I used John's work as a template for roughly what I was doing and just went at it with my dremmel! :lol:

Make sure you clean it all up thoroughly afterwards though, as metal particles getting into your boost return system WON'T do your charger any favours, never mind when it gets into the cylinders/pistons/rings... :|

yep i just used a dremmel type thing guys,and then finer and finer sandpaper/wet n dry to get the polished effect.

Riley, fancy lendin or selling me your old TB wen you put this one one? so that I can do mine.

G

yeah sure m8,ill have to see if mine runs after fitting this one first though!

ill let ya know when ive fit it,then just remind me. :D

How difficult are they to do yourself????

Ive never done one before but would be interested in having a go.

I like the extreme that you've managed to get yours to Riley!!! Fancy doing one for me???

yeah no probs m8,but im no expert myself :oops:

so i couldnt garentee any bad running or poor gains,im guessing what ive done should be ok though,maybe best to see how mine runs after fitting first and then post it to me if you want.

neil. :)

update on my t-body. :)

after messing with the half that houses the spindles,i saw that i wouldnt be able to fit it as some bits of the linkage are broken :roll:

so i thought id really bring up the other half,i finished off the venturi bit,and got it ported a little more then polished the hell out of it. :D

i fitted just this half today and there is a 'real' difference,throttle response is more snappy and it drives better at low rpm(smoother)

neil. 8)

im skinters at the moment m8,but sounds interesting. 8)

would that be a 16v t-body?

neil.

Feck me Riley, that is just polished! 8) 8)

Nice one... 8)

:D cheers henny.

im just thinking about swapping all the throttle linkage over from the original to the one i played with.

just scared of messing it up somehow. :roll:

neil.

When I did mine I went too far, the little black mark I was trying to grind out turned out to be a hole :oops: and I had to get it welded. If I was going to do another I’d have striped it down and had the cavities filled with weld first and take it that little bit further. On mine I knife edged the back side as well to minimise turbulence.

Another good thing to do while its off for those with the boost return mod, if you've removed all the carbon canister related vac pipes is to fill the vac pipe hole situated just under the boost return valve with chemical metal, as this acts like blowing over the top of a beer bottle and you would not believe how quiet this makes it.

I’ve done this and with 600mm of 45mm bore rubber hose on the return, all you hear is the dump valve noise changing gear after W.O.T. You just need to make sure before the stuff sets that it not in the way of the valve closing or else you won’t be able to get full boost.

holy shat you could have a shave in that.

god i'm slow at typing, i started /\ that when it was on page one

Edit: doh, note to self make sure there aren't more that one page before repying to the first page :oops:

:lol: thats one a my tricks lately too,replying then realising theres more pages!

id love to fit the other half,shame the linkages are broken :roll:

neil.