Sign in to follow this  
Jim

Ok.. reccomend some cars! (

True, depreciation may be heavier on other cars but will we spend as much maintaining 'other' cars?

Absolutely, but you won't know that until you purchase said other car, then it's too late.

Sure the C has a reputation for being a wallet drainer, but if you analyse it, how much of what you spend on them is ESSENTIAL, i.e car won't run without it, compared to changing things due to fussiness?

Over 2 years, my C has never broken down, or felt like it ever would. Excluding servicing items, 90% of my expenditure has been replacing things through want, rather than need.

It's the same with all cars, especially ones that have surpassed 5 years of age.

This is true.

A lot of the major expenses on my previous Corrado's was preventative maintainance, and having things changed because they were looking a bit tired or sounding a bit knackered.

On my first Corrado, I didn't need to get the tappets done.. they just sounded noisy and I found it a bit embarassing so I got em sorted :)

But when you are part of the owners club and a forum like this, you want to at least try and keep on top of your car so you have something to show off and be proud of at the meets, etc :)

Get something else mate, Corrados are brilliant but we have to accept there is just so many other nice cars for good prices out there. I can see how some people like to stick with what they know they like tho. Bit off topic, but since you mentioned, how do I sort my tappets out? like you say, I don't think it effects performance or anything but it is getting a bit embarassing, lol.

Sure the C has a reputation for being a wallet drainer, but if you analyse it, how much of what you spend on them is ESSENTIAL, i.e car won't run without it, compared to changing things due to fussiness?

Got to agree. Had mine for a year and a half now and other than a service all I had to get was a CAT for the MOT. I can only fix things when they really need doing as I just do not have the cash to spare. I have a few things that need doing now - wheel bearing, steering rack gaiter, oil cooler seals - but with a bit of a shop around and a good no nonsense mechanic these things won't be the end of the world.

I too am a bit embarressed about the noise from the tappets and the puff of smoke from the rear after a long downhill but it is more important to me to own and drive my Corrado than to swap it for something allegedly more reliable.

The Gallant is a nice car with a real laid back feeling to driving it. I drive a 2.5l auto about once a week and do find it very relaxing! The VR4 will be a bit more urgent I guess!

Jim, the Golf VR6 highline looks like a lovely car and there's one advertised on the forum with 51K miles. Not sure about the price at 5,800 as I dont know what these go for normally.

I'm pretty much set on a Golf TDI now mate.. a VR6 Golf realistically wasn't going to save me any money so decided to put my sensible cap on.

Especially since i've seen I can get the GT TDI's in my price range too... :)

True, depreciation may be heavier on other cars but will we spend as much maintaining 'other' cars?

Absolutely, but you won't know that until you purchase said other car, then it's too late.

It's the same with all cars, especially ones that have surpassed 5 years of age.

Agreed, but less reliable cars can be cheaper to run due to lower cost of parts.

an Ibiza 130 tdi would be better value for money if you are looking for performance although a golf will be better made etc. Think you can get them for 7k now, just put a Cupra air intake and jabba remap and hey presto 190bhp and 300 pounds of torque, lol.