Sign in to follow this  
NickVR6

Vr6 Boiling in one place ! HELP!

I've read all the searches on this but none seem quite the same as my problem, any help much apreciated! Here goes........ :?: :?: :?: :?:

My VR is boiling water after a run, but only seems to be happening in the pipe that runs from the bulk head into the back of the top of the head. Front big hoses to rad seem fine. It even sounds like its bubbling when i turn the key from cold, but i think its the elec pump pumping water and air, but definately boiling round the aux pump after a run. Its also seeping out of the header tank overflow.

I replaced the presure cap with one from GS and it blew about 2 litres straight out, put the old one back and its back to a seep so that cap must have been W..k! :p

Just had the thermostat changed including a new housing as there was a normal looking gasket leak there but thoought it best to do the stat while there. Actually runs slightly hotter now after the new stat! but constant.

Water temp is around 90 rising to 100ish, fan cuts in and it dies down again. Oil temp is around 102/104 gentle 65mph rising to a max of 112/114 blasting.

So whats going on with me water works guv?? Tell me its not a head gasket as ive got a set of brand new 8x17s sat here im saving for tyres for!

PS: Heater works fine, almost too well infact, scorchio!

are you shore its boiling and not some sort of air lock? the water wont boil if its under the right presure and if the pressure is right in one part of the system it should be right all the way through the system? correct me if im wrong - so if it boils in one place the pressure should be too low for the temp of the water and it would use the header tank overflow - as i say "correct me if im wrong" ?

You may be right actually it may be air as it does it when I fire up

the electric pump in the morning, sounds like a washing machine in the

bulkhead.

the aux pump and rad are both a year old and obviously a new thermostat. Hows air getting in there and is that my problem then?????

My garage flushed the coolant system and bled it all so what going on??

Maximum temperatures seem normal - at least, they are the same as mine which may not be the same thing! Water temperature should drop a bit lower on the move when the air flow through the radiator increases.

It does seem as though there is some air in the system which has risen to a high point and can't get out. It probably sounds worse than it is because the auxiliary pump is whooshing the air into the water.

When you changed the thermostat, did you fill the cooling system via the header tank with all the hoses connected? If so, you may well have trapped some air; it is better to disconnect the top hose at the rad end, hold that end as high as you can and fill the system through that , then re connect it and top up via the header. This is what I did and it seemed to work; it might be best to do this with hot water into a hot engine to make sure the thermostat is at least partly open.

Best wishes

RB

cheers RB, have to say the garage did it! I will check with them. Why am i loosing out of the presure cap though, is this caused by the air too??

great thermostat housing or one of the hoses is leaking still aswell, def back to the garage!! getting stroppy now.

Lucky that sound of the vr6 engine is second only to the smell hot castrol r/2 stroke or id driven it into a tree by now!

dag nab it !

Perhaps your old pressure cap is also leaking. I would try a genuine VW replacement rather than the GSF one you tried before. Are you confident of the pressure tightness of the header tank itself?

Best wishes

RB

its leaking out of the overflow bit not round the cap. can here it hissing so i assume the cap is doing its job. this is like a chineese puzzle. obviously only does this when its nice and hot. Bizarly the leak from the stat housing only leaks when its cold though ie overnight! when its hiot that stops but i think its just a dodgey hose seal by the garage.

i blame that one on those stupid hose clips vw insist in fitting.

they dont seal, and when you take them off they spring out of your pliers and take your head off!