Sign in to follow this  
Loko

Gearbox galore...give a dog a bone...

Hello there,

Long time no post! I had a 16valver Corrado but I sold it as I couldn't justify keeping it (being away for work, etc.). Anyway, I have since returned and bought a Mk3 Golf GTi 16v - don't worry I haven't turned to the darkside just accumulating another year's no claims before I get a VR6 rado! Anyway my Golf's 02A box and 16v engine are essentially the same as where in my old Rado so I turned to you wizards for help.

Well, my Golf has been running great with no trouble at all for 9 months...but about 2 weeks ago my gearbox started giving me trouble. All gears are fine except for 5th. It feels like the synchro has finally died a horrible death. I'd just like to share the symptons and see if you agree, though I can't see what else it could be. It's just hard work to get in 5th when driving say at 50 - 60mph. If you double clutch her she goes in a lot better. Also curiously, changing up in 4th at say 100mph (on a track of course :lol: ) it goes in no problemo without even waiting. At slower speeds I have to wait a 2 or 3 secs to allow the gears to synchronize. You can hear the dog teeth grind - well I think it's them :!:

I just find it curious that at the high speeds it goes in no trouble.

The engine mounts are good and the linkage feels ok (couldn't know for sure though). You get a positive clink clink (you know what I mean!) when you change gears so I guess so. Not sure about what the oil level in the box is but would I be right in saying that although 5th is at the top of the box, you'd expect the other gears that share the same shaft to struggle getting in too :?: This is not the case, it's only 5th so I can't see it's the oil.

Anyway, the good news is my local mechanic I take the car to is knows his gearboxes - he says he can access 5th without taking the box out and quoted me a couple of hours labour to do the job. A synchro ring for 5th is £24 from the local stealer. I reckon I might as well put some MT90 in there whilst we are at it. :roll:

Does all that sound reasonable :?: Also, whilst he is in there tinkering, are there any other parts he should change for good measure or that could of been damaged/worn during my 2weeks of trying to get 5th in? the grinding sounds horrible when I get the double clutching wrong!! The gear has never popped out once in, so no need for a selector right :?:

Thanks a lot for your help! 8)