Sign in to follow this  
juloesG60

What bolts/parts are renowned to fail in G60 Engine?

At the moment having problems with my cambelt seeming to slip, i have heard the crank bolt is known to fail and have bought the Mk1 DX replacement one.

What other parts throughout the G60 engine are known to have design faults and have uprated/new replacement parts?

the oil feed and return lines to the charger should be replaced every couple of years in my opinion... if one clogs up you're looking at a dead charger in a rather short length of time... :|

Only other things that tend to go are the senders and sensors which go on just about every engine... 8)

The plastic coolant flanges on the front and side of the block eventually crack due to continual heating up and cooling down, and are quite a common cause of coolant leaks for G60's. Not very expensive to replace, using genuine parts from the stealer.

err if your cambelt is slipping then you have major problems, you mean alternator/drive belt?

Well that is what the garage originally said, have just talked to them and now rekon it hasnt sliped...though do still have a massive power loss!

The key for the bottom pulley has been known to sheer also. This happened to my mate's Golf GTi 16v so that every time he booted it the timing would slip slightly, eventually causing major power loss. If your timing marks are aligned, as is implied by the garage, this is unlikely to be your problem.

get ready for this, you have a major power loss? well guess what, your key has sheared! cause mine did as well, it does make the crank bolt come loose. I paid 900 US to get it fixed. do it yourself, use threadlock and a DX bolt. you also need a new crank pulley for the timing belt. its a lovely little thing, do it soon or your valves might go. like henny's did. mine were ok tho