Sign in to follow this  
Banana Man

Steering problem

I have a new problem with my car it's only really just started or I ve only just noticed it. Driving to southend and back last night going down thew motorway the steering just didn't feel quite right. It a funny problem when you start to decelerate naturally the car pulls to the left and tugs at the steering wheel but when you've got your foot on the accelerator it seems fine. Driving it through town at lower speeds the steeering wheel really tugs up and down. I cant think what it can be though I ve changed both cv joints had a new wheel bearing and I ve changed the suspension top mounts and also the wheels have been balanced and tracked up. Has anyone got any ideas on what this can be because it's got me baffled!!!

I dont think it's those I looked over them a couple of weeks ago and they seemed fine, it's really strange it only starts doing it after quite a while of driving like a motorway run or a good 20min drive and it also only really does it when are off the gas, when your on it accelerating it doesn't seem to do it!!! I have no idea what it could be I'm going to get it in the air this afternoon and see what I can see but if the MOT guy didn't spot it yesterday I dont think I'll have a hope in hell in finding something obvious, but its wortha look anyway i guess!!

Hm...

I would be interested whats causing it as I get similar problems. Can sometimes pull quite strongly when I am slowing down to stop at lights, yet I know tracking and stuff are all fine - just had it done.

I was told it could possibly be :

Camber is out,

Wheel bearings (ruled them out as showed up as fine on MOT),

Suspension bushes.

Have you tried obvious things like tyre pressures, it can make a big difference when your running big wheels as well, i no theguy i bought my corrado off had to replace the bottom arms and ball joints and had it 4 wheel aligned because it pulled over all the time and uneven braking it has really made a difference and im running 17s, hope you sort it ? :?

cheers chaps for info but it actually feels as though something is loose or something, its competely different to what a wheel out of balance feels like and tyre pressures out as it vibratyes the rack and makes the car steer to the left or right its not just the way the car normaly pulls when there's adverse camber I know 17's makes the car follow the lines of the road alot more but it feels completely different to that, it's really hard to put it into words. I'm going to have to look at it tomorrow now as I didn't get the time this afernoon I'm going to check all the usual parts, ball joints, track rod ends, anti roll bar bushes, bearings, suspension bushes etc etc....... But unless it's something obvious I dont think I'll find it!!! I'll perserveer though it's just another thing to add to the list thats been going wrong recently, I just hope it dont cost too much as darren @ P.D is making me a charge coolerat the mo and all the gubbins to go with so it's going to leave me a bit skint for a while!

cheers chaps for info but it actually feels as though something is loose or something, its competely different to what a wheel out of balance feels like and tyre pressures out as it vibratyes the rack and makes the car steer to the left or right its not just the way the car normaly pulls when there's adverse camber I know 17's makes the car follow the lines of the road alot more but it feels completely different to that, it's really hard to put it into words. I'm going to have to look at it tomorrow now as I didn't get the time this afernoon I'm going to check all the usual parts, ball joints, track rod ends, anti roll bar bushes, bearings, suspension bushes etc etc....... But unless it's something obvious I dont think I'll find it!!! I'll perserveer though it's just another thing to add to the list thats been going wrong recently, I just hope it dont cost too much as darren @ P.D is making me a charge coolerat the mo and all the gubbins to go with so it's going to leave me a bit skint for a while!

I'm going to have to look at it tomorrow now

Did you have any luck? I have a similar problem and have done for some time. It effected the car when I had 15" on and now I have 17" it is got worse. I have play in the wheel where I can wiggle the wheel about 3/4" each way with no effect on the diection on the wheels. This play has a big effect on steering, and when leaving corners getting straight can be a bit of a tug-a war with the camber of the road. My guess is the steering bushes but not got under it to check yet. Hopefully tonight will have the chance. let us know how you get on with yours.

Hi Andy,

I'm no mechanic but, you could try the power steering belt. It may be slipping a bit therefore causing variances in power assistance levels. Just a thought...

I had this a few months ago and found it was the wishbone (bottom arm) bushes , its the big round one to the rear of the car .

Easy way to check (with the wheels on the ground) is get a long wheel brace with a socket on the end , put it onto one of your wheel nut's and lever downwards and upwards , as if you are tightening and un-tightening the wheel nut , but only moving it enough to check for play .

If the wheel moves forwards and backwards in the wheel arch then chances are the bush is worn . you can also look from under the front of the car at the bush for play , as someone moves the wheel with the brace .

Hope this helps

I know it's an old post but I had this problem not long after replacing strus, top bearings, bushings ect. Turned out the threaded collar holding the strut shaft to the top bearing had worked loose. Little bit of play made a very nasty feeling.